Water and Sewerage Department

We deliver some of the world’s cleanest, safest drinking water.

The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) serves more than 230,000 accounts that include a residential population of nearly 700,000. DWSD’s water network consists of more than 2,700 miles of water main and nearly 3,000 miles of sewer collection piping within the city of Detroit. DWSD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability in any of our services, programs, or activities. 


The City of Detroit will make every effort to assist residents including helping with possible reimbursement through the federal government. If your property has flood damage, you may be able to get reimbursement. You can file a claim locally with DWSD and the Great Lakes Water Authority (GLWA).

President Joe Biden issued a disaster declaration for Wayne and Washtenaw counties, including Detroit, which provides assess to FEMA resources for individuals and businesses. Residents and businesses impacted by the June 25-26 flooding can register at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or call 800-621-FEMA (3362) to start the FEMA possible reimbursement process.

If you have called DWSD at 313-267-8000 or filled out the short form online or on a mobile device using Improve Detroit (SeeClickFix) to notify DWSD of your water in basement complaint, you have given DWSD notice that you wish to file a claim and have met the 45-day deadline obligation. When you receive the claim form by mail, please complete and return as soon as possible. The DWSD full claim form will also be available online soon.

If you have not filed a claim with DWSD, initiate the DWSD claim using this online form, use the Improve Detroit app (choose "Water in Basement") or call 313-267-8000 by August 9, 2021. Also, file a claim with GLWA.

It is very important to document your losses with photos of the flood damage and receipts related to cleaning out your basement and repairs. FEMA provides possible reimbursement based on documented losses from the June 25-26 flooding. If you have insurance, you should file a claim with your insurance company immediately.

If you experienced sewage backups during the July 16 and July 24 rainstorms, you can only file a claim with DWSD and GLWA.

Mayor Duggan's Update on City Flood Response