DWSD is Here to Help – Water Assistance Programs

kid and mom

No one has to lose their water service

Do you, or someone close to you, have limited income or a recent decrease in income?
Click or call (313) 386-9727 for the DWSD Lifeline Plan
Are you impacted by a plumbing leak or monthly water bills that are unusually high?
Click or call (313) 386-9728 for plumbing repairs on low-income households.
Do you need help paying your water or sewerage bills but aren't low-income?
Enroll today in the 10/30/50 Plan. Click or call (313) 267-8000.


Enroll onsite today sign

The Lifeline Plan

Are you experiencing poverty and need assistance with your water bill? The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) and community partners offer Water Assistance Programs for eligible households, including Detroit's income-based water affordability program — the Lifeline Plan.

Residents who are enrolled in or applied for an assistance program will continue in a moratorium. For other households with delinquent accounts and who have the ability to pay, the water shutoff moratorium was lifted on December 31, 2022.

State and Federal Water Assistance Programs

During the COVID-19 Pandemic, state and federal agencies have made available an unprecedented amount of funding to assist low-income households with utility bills. Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency will help you apply to all the qualifying programs by calling 313-386-9727 or use their universal application at waynemetro.org.

MDHHS State Emergency Relief Program

Up to $175 per year in assistance is available to qualifying low-income households. Call 2-1-1 or go to www.michigan.gov/mdhhs.

Michigan Homeowner Assistance Fund (MIHAF)*

Up to $25,000 to homeowners for mortgage, land contract, past due taxes, and utility bills (water assistance is a portion of the $25,000). The program is available for a limited time. Apply now by using the Wayne Metro universal application at waynemetro.org.

*These programs are only available for a limited time

Wayne County Veterans Financial Hardship Services

Veterans may obtain financial assistance through the Wayne County Financial Hardship Services Program using Wayne County Soldiers & Sailors Relief and Michigan Veteran Trust Funds. Assistance may be granted to honorably discharged indigent wartime veterans, their spouses, and dependent children to meet their immediate needs. Visit the Wayne County Veterans page for further detail or call 313-224-5045.

Other Assistance Partners