Customer Policies

Past Due Accounts and Service Interruptions

Don't wait until your service has been interrupted for nonpayment. If you receive a final notice, call the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) immediately at 313-267-8000 to pay your past due balance or if you need to make payment arrangements.  If you need help, DWSD and our partners have Customer Assistance Programs available.

Customers are responsible for paying bills on time and in full. As part of DWSD's continuing efforts to keep rate increases low, customers who fail to keep their accounts current will be issued a final notice to pay the past-due bill. Service interruptions procedures begin if payment has not been received by the due date stated in the Final Notice. If service is terminated, cash, credit/debit card, cashier's check and money order are accepted to restore service. A personal check will NOT be accepted to restore water service.

PLEASE NOTE:  Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic and the Michigan Governor's executive order, DWSD has not performed water service interruptions for nonpayment since March 6, 2020. Mayor Mike Duggan and DWSD Director Gary Brown extended the moratorium through the end of 2022. However, before you get too far behind on your account and while federal and state utility bill assistance remains available, you are encouraged to call DWSD to get assistance. We are here to help.

Bill Disputes

A monthly-billed customer of the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) may dispute a bill not later than twenty-eight (28) days after the billing date. After the period expires, the customer forfeits the right to dispute the bill.

To dispute the bill, call DWSD at 313-267-8000.

Permits and Demolition
  • New or changed service may require a permit from DWSD. For questions on permits, demolition clearances, or fire hydrant permits, visit the DWSD Permits page or call 313-267-8000.
  • To change, install or repair a meter, call Customer Care at 313-267-8000 .
Property Damage / Sewerage Claims

Visit the DWSD damage claims page.