Fire Hydrant Use & Maintenance
Fire hydrants are used for fire suppression and to help ensure water quality. Other uses may be authorized through a permit from the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD). Watch this video to learn more.
Authorized users with a DWSD permit are responsible for the following:
- Any damage to the fire hydrant outside of normal usage;
- Having a knowledgeable individual to operate the hydrant;
- Disconnecting hoses from hydrant when not in use;
- Using an approved backflow preventer to eliminate any possibility of contamination of the water supply;
- Ensuring the hydrant remains accessible for emergency service at all times; and
- Contractors that may operate a Hydrant, shall confirm they viewed the training video and conducted proper training along with supplying the correct tool list to their on-site personnel.
For Hydrant use for Demolition, see the Demolition Water Clearance and Associated Fire Hydrant Use Permit section of the Permit webpage for additional information and to apply.
See the Fire Hydrant Use Only Permit section of the Permit webpage for additional information and to apply for a fire hydrant use permit for any other purpose than Demolition.