Department of Public Works
We strive for cleanliness, safety, and efficiency.
The role of the Department of Public Works is to provide environmental and infrastructure services designed to ensure the cleanliness and safe and efficient mobility of the residents, visitors, and customers of the city; to provide for the oversight and management of solid waste collection activities performed by private contractors, including citywide curbside recycling. We facilitate the clearing of illegally dumped debris and provide construction, maintenance, and engineering design of streets and alleys; perform snow & ice removal services, perform sidewalk maintenance, as well as establish and maintain systems and devices for safe and expeditious regulation and control of traffic.
The City of Detroit is developing Streets for People, a transportation plan with a singular focus — to make it easier and safer for all Detroiters to move around the city. Learn more about this exciting initiative and how you can get involved at: detroitmi.gov/streetsforpeople
- Request Speed Hump
- Apply for an Outdoor Dining Permit
- Apply for a Valet Permit
- Sidewalk Repair Program
- RoW Easements, Encroachments, and Vacations
- G.I.S Mapping for Public Use
- Standard Specs for Paving and Construction
- Right of Way Permit Application
- Street and Alley Standards
- Utility Restoration Detail
- Find Your Garbage Pickup Schedule
- Request a Recycling Bin
- Request a Paid Pickup
- Report Illegal Dumping (and more!) on Improve Detroit
Find out when your recycling, trash, bulk & yard waste gets picked up:
- Go to: https://detroitmi.gov/webapp/find-your-waste-pickup-schedule
- Type your street address where it says "Type your street address" and choose the correct address from the list of results.
- Now choose "My Schedule" or enter your phone number to get text message reminders the evening before each pickup.
You may also sign up for the weekly reminders by texting your street address to:
If you have issues with your garbage, recycling or any other waste pick up services please contact your provider at the following numbers: