Detroit marks "Hump Day" by adding yet another 350 speed hump locations to 2021 program
Request speed humps for your street.
2023 Speed Hump Program
DPW announced its speed hump program for 2023 with more than 320 along city streets that qualify. See list of streets here.
Detroiters who want to opt out if their street appears on the list will have through April 27. Residents can opt out only with a letter from your block club captain speaking on behalf of all residents on the block or signed petition. The letter or petition must be submitted here.
The new 2023 speed humps slated for installation will bring totals to over 10,000 speed humps installed since the beginning of the program in 2016. DPW has received more than 25,000 speed hump requests from residents.
However, if your block was selected as part of the initial program posted in March 2021 and you still have not received your speed hump, it could be due to utility construction on your street or a need for resurfacing. Your speed hump is still forthcoming and will be installed when the street work is completed.
What is a speed hump?
Speed humps are rounded raised areas of asphalt or prefabricated rubber constructed across the roadway width.
Why install speed humps?
Speed humps are designed to reduce vehicular speed on residential local streets that have a single travel lane in each direction.
The goals of the program are to:
• Slow traffic speeds
• Address speeding and reckless driving
• Create a safe neighborhood environment
As a reminder, the criteria that DPW considered for placing the speed humps is:
• Local residential streets with speed limit of 25 mph
• Priority given to streets adjacent to active schools and parks.
• DPD records of speeding and vehicle crashes
• Street used as known “cut through” to or from a major road.
• Block housing density
• Number of school-aged children
• Resident support on the block and valid request made.
What are the advantages of speed humps?
- Speed humps are an effective tool in reducing speeds.
- Most drivers will slow down to avoid jarring their vehicle or choose another route.
- Installation does not require the removal of parking spaces.