Application opens on January 19th at 5pm. Apply Now.
Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department
We create safe environments for city residents.
The Buildings, Safety Engineering, and Environmental Department (BSEED) will continue to support Social Distancing by strongly encouraging taking advantage of the free online portals. If you must visit the BSEED offices you will be required to make an appointment for all services.
You will also be required to wear a mask that covers the nose and mouth and adhere to the distancing guidelines imposed.
- Access online services 24/7. Click Here!
- Understand the full scope of your projects before you get started with our helpful online permitting tool. Click Here!
- Make an appointment from you desktop or laptop (Click Here!) or download the free QLess app to your mobile device
The new QLess Appointment Program allows customers to get in line from a website at home or work, receive SMS text messages of their place in line and wait-time, and arrive at the location when it is time for their appointment.
- Customers will schedule appointments from the BSEED webpage or from the easily downloadable free QLess App
- Customers are allowed to make appointments Mon-Thurs
- Customers are notified an hour prior to the appointment allowing the City time to confirm the appointment as well as allowing customers to cancel or reschedule
- Customers will have the ability to book an appointment for a future day and time
- Customers receive appointment reminders as the time of the appointment approaches, QLess automatically places the customer into your virtual queue
The Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department (BSEED) mission is to provide for the safety, health and welfare of the general public as it pertains to buildings and their environs in an efficient, cost effective, user friendly and professional manner. BSEED enforces construction, property maintenance, environmental compliance and zoning codes, which preserve and enhance property values and promote a quality of life to make Detroit a preferred place to reside and conduct business.
Information on the requirements for applying for a Sign Permit and the installation of advertising and business signs in the City of Detroit can be found on the Sign Permits webpage.
ANNOUNCEMENT (REVISED): CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT ADVERTISING SIGN PERMIT APPLICATION RELEASE
The City of Detroit’s Building Safety Engineering and Environmental Department announces the process for accepting and processing applications for Advertising Sign Permits in the Central Business District with revised release dates as follows:
1. Applications will be accepted in two phases:
- Phase 1 – Beginning at 10 a.m. on January 25, 2021, registered sign professionals representing owners of any premises located in the Central Business District, to which an advertising sign permit has been validly issued and that is currently displayed on such premises for which owners has voluntarily and intentionally abandon such permit (by signed and notarized affidavit addressed to the City of Detroit by the premises owner or authorized agent) may submit an electronic Part 1 Application form. This period of accepting Part 1 applications will end February 8, 2021 (a two-week period). The electronic form will be made available on the City of Detroit Sign Permits webpage under the "Forms" tab.
- Phase 2 – Beginning at 10 a.m. on February 22, 2021, representatives of all owners of buildings in the Central Business District may submit the electronic Part 1 Application form. The electronic form will be made available on the City of Detroit Sign Permits webpage under the "Forms" tab.
Please visit the Sign Permits webpage for more information.
BSEED Zoning Division will be holding Special Land Use Hearings. See the Zoning Division Page for additional details.
Additional temporary department updates due to COVID-19 include:
Special land use and site plan reviews can now be submitted online through the BSEED website. Please email [email protected] or call 313-268-6690 for any additional questions or concerns. For information on a specific address or parcel please visit the zoning website.
Construction inspections are still ongoing via Zoom. An in-person inspection is available only if the location is following COVID-19 safety protocols (masks, social distancing, etc.). Emergency complaint inspections will move forward on an as-needed. Construction requested office appointments can be done virtually, via Zoom or Skype by sending a request to our general email: [email protected].
- Plumbing (313) 224-3118
- Mechanical (313) 224-0113
- General/Buildings (313) 224-3202
- Electrical (313) 224-3226
- Ross Brackett – [email protected]
- Greg Wordlaw – [email protected]
- Kurt Johnson – [email protected]
- Vincent Cooley – [email protected]
- Rickey Harris – [email protected]
- Randy Hargraves – [email protected]
- Aijalon Denham – [email protected]
Property Maintenance has resumed non-emergency interior inspections by appointment only with the exception of emergencies. We will continue to enforce on all exterior violations on both occupied and unoccupied structures (graffiti, overgrowth, debris.) DAH has delayed all new court dates and adjourned all current cases. This will provide all owners ample time to correct any exterior issues. DAH will notify owners via mail on all date changes.
- Commercial/Rental: 628-2451 emergency complaints
- Dangerous Building: 224-3215 emergency complaints
- Property Maintenance
- Rental Registration
- Compliance Agreement Questions: [email protected]
- Rental Related Questions: [email protected]