A limited number of city departments at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center will resume in-person services on July 6.
Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department
We create safe environments for city residents.
The Buildings, Safety Engineering, and Environmental Department (BSEED) will continue to support Social Distancing by strongly encouraging taking advantage of the free online portals. If you must visit the BSEED offices you will be required to make an appointment for all services.
You will also be required to wear a mask that covers the nose and mouth and adhere to the distancing guidelines imposed.
- Access online services 24/7. Click Here!
- Understand the full scope of your projects before you get started with our helpful online permitting tool. Click Here!
- Make an appointment from you desktop or laptop (Click Here!) or download the free QLess app to your mobile device
The new QLess Appointment Program allows customers to get in line from a website at home or work, receive SMS text messages of their place in line and wait-time, and arrive at the location when it is time for their appointment.
- Customers will schedule appointments from the BSEED webpage or from the easily downloadable free QLess App
- Customers are allowed to make appointments Mon-Thurs
- Customers are notified an hour prior to the appointment allowing the City time to confirm the appointment as well as allowing customers to cancel or reschedule
- Customers will have the ability to book an appointment for a future day and time
- Customers receive appointment reminders as the time of the appointment approaches, QLess automatically places the customer into your virtual queue
The Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department (BSEED) mission is to provide for the safety, health and welfare of the general public as it pertains to buildings and their environs in an efficient, cost effective, user friendly and professional manner. BSEED enforces construction, property maintenance, environmental compliance and zoning codes, which preserve and enhance property values and promote a quality of life to make Detroit a preferred place to reside and conduct business.
Special Land Use Hearings
BSEED Zoning Division will be holding Special Land Use Hearings:
Dial-In Number: 1-267-831-0333
Zoom Meeting ID: 913-8069-2722
Additional temporary department updates due to COVID-19 include:
Special land use and site plan reviews can now be submitted online through the BSEED website. Please email [email protected] or call 313-268-6690 for any additional questions or concerns. For information on a specific address or parcel please visit the zoning website.
Construction inspections are still ongoing via Zoom. An in-person inspection is available only if the location is following COVID-19 safety protocols (masks, social distancing, etc.). Emergency complaint inspections will move forward on an as-needed. Construction requested office appointments can be done virtually, via Zoom or Skype by sending a request to our general email: [email protected].
- Plumbing (313) 224-3118
- Mechanical (313) 224-0113
- General/Buildings (313) 224-3202
- Electrical (313) 224-3226
- Ross Brackett – [email protected]
- Greg Wordlaw – [email protected]
- Kurt Johnson – [email protected]
- Vincent Cooley – [email protected]
- Rickey Harris – [email protected]
- Randy Hargraves – [email protected]
- Aijalon Denham – [email protected]
Property Maintenance has resumed non-emergency interior inspections by appointment only with the exception of emergencies. We will continue to enforce on all exterior violations on both occupied and unoccupied structures (graffiti, overgrowth, debris.) DAH has delayed all new court dates and adjourned all current cases. This will provide all owners ample time to correct any exterior issues. DAH will notify owners via mail on all date changes.
- Commercial/Rental: 628-2451 emergency complaints
- Dangerous Building: 224-3215 emergency complaints
- Property Maintenance
- Rental Registration
- Compliance Agreement Questions: [email protected]
- Rental Related Questions: [email protected]