Environmental Affairs




The purpose of Environmental Affairs is to conserve and protect the natural resources (water, air, and land resources) of the City of Detroit in the interests of the health, safety and welfare of the people, to promote improved social and economic conditions, and to protect limited environmental resources for the future benefit of Detroit residents.  This is done through coordinated efforts with federal, state, and local agencies, as well as community groups and citizens.  Environmental Affairs is here to serve the public trust by enforcing environmental regulations through policy and inspections.

Do you have questions? - Contact us!

Air Quality Including Bulk Solid Material Storage
Brownfield Redevelopment
Environmental Enforcement
Host Community Agreement
Right of Entry

Email Environmental Affairs at [email protected]

You can find more information about each area by clicking on the links.


Getting to the Finish Line

How to Obtain a Right-of-Entry Permit

A Right-of-Entry (ROE) is required to access city-owned parcels and the right-of-entry to the right-of-way (ROE-ROW) is required for access to City rights-of-way.

If work includes any permanent monitoring wells (> 30 days) in the Right-of-Way obtain City Council approval prior to applying for the ROE permit.

Please be advised:  In addition to the ROE_ROW the applicant must also secure right-of-way permits for performing work/activities in the public right-of-way, including but not limited to open cuts, backfills, and barricades. right-of-way permits must be obtained prior to the commencement of site work/activities from the department of public works, city engineering division.
How to Obtain General Compliance/Alternate Compliance Certificate of Operation
Any entity doing business located within the City of Detroit that has been determined to have a potential to emit fugitive dust and/or stores bulk solid materials outdoors must have a General or Alternate Compliance Certificate of Operation. No businesses currently operated are removed from this requirement, and any new businesses must apply for the certificate before beginning operation.

If you are applying for a Bulk Solid Materials variance, you must complete this application in addition to the standard form.
    How to Obtain a Host Community Agreement
Host Community Agreements are legally binding documents between facilities that are required to be included in the Wayne County Solid Waste Management Plan and their host communities.

Demolition Fill Material