Application opens on January 19th at 5pm
Responding to COVID-19
The Detroit Department of Transportation takes the COVID-19 situation very seriously. We are working with the City of Detroit, state and local public health officials and following the CDC’s guidance to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
DDOT Code of Rights
DDOT and the Detroit Police Department would like to remind all passengers of the following when riding a DDOT coach:
- All persons on DDOT coaches are required to wear face coverings, completely covering their nose and mouth for the entire time on the coach, unless excused for purposes of ADA compliance.
- With the exception of ADA front-door boarding, all passengers will enter and exit the coach through the rear door.
- All passengers should remain in the designated area, and no person shall approach the Coach Operator while on the bus or cross the barrier at any time while on the coach.
- All instances of threats or violence will be thoroughly investigated, and DDOT will seek prosecution for these acts, to the fullest extent of the law.
For questions, comments or concerns customers are encouraged to call Customer Service at (313) 933-1300 Monday-Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
What DDOT is doing to help reduce the spread of COVID-19
- March 17 - Bus service to resume at 3:00 AM, Wednesday after Mayor and DDOT unions agree to new sanitization and safety protocols
- March 18 - DDOT Detroit MetroLift & Reduced Fare Update
- March 18 - Detroit Department of Transportation Cashier Window Closed
- April 3 - $2 Rides available for Detroiters starting Monday for Fairgrounds testing
- April 7 - DDOT provides 20K surgical masks for riders to slow spread of COVID-19
- May 6 - Mayor Appoints C. Mikel Oglesby as City's Executive Director of Transit
- June 8 - DDOT June 8 Rider Alert
- June 11 - DDOT June 11 Rider Alert
- June 18 - DDOT COVID-19 Customer Survey
- July 14 - Rider Alert: DDOT Requires Passengers to Wear a Face Covering
- August 19 - Rider Alert: Bus Schedules
What you can do to help reduce the spread of COVID-19
The Detroit Department of Transportation supports social distancing to help prevent the spread of germs and COVID-19. We ask that passengers:
- Board and exit using the rear doors. Only customers who require ADA ramp or bus-knelling are to use the front doors.
- Refrain from seating behind the bus driver.
- Sit every other seat on the bus.
- Contact Customer Service at (313) 933-1300 Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. for bus information. Expect delays due to high call volumes.
Remember to use hand sanitizer dispensers where available and to wash your hands often, and cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue. The CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Plan your trip and track your ride with the Transit app. Note: The Transit app is a third-party tool to assist you with travel. It is not a means for exact bus time arrival information. For more information, visit Transit app FAQs.
Visit DDOT News for a listing of the latest rider alerts and service updates.
Subscribe to the City of Detroit Newsletter to opt-in to receive DDOT announcements.
DDOT public meetings and hearings will be conducted virtually until further notice. Please visit the events page for dates and times.
DDOT is monitoring the following COVID-19-specific resources, which provide important information and situation updates on the outbreak: