Our community funding is based on Census count. Read more...
Responding to COVID-19
The Detroit Department of Transportation takes the COVID-19 situation very seriously. We are working with the City of Detroit, state and local public health officials and following the CDC’s guidance to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
DDOT requests all riders wear mouth and noise covering for safety and to slow the spread of COVID-19 effective Wednesday, April 8
In support of those on the front lines of the COVID-19 crisis, Mayor Mike Duggan announced that the City of Detroit Department of Transportation (DDOT) will provide riders with free surgical masks as they board the motor coach beginning Wednesday, April 8. Masks will be available on every DDOT bus and available, one per rider, at no cost while supplies last. Read more.
What DDOT is doing to help reduce the spread of COVID-19
On March 18, Mayor Duggan and the presidents of the three unions representing DDOT employees announced a series of health safety improvements made to protect drivers and passengers, including:
- Allowing entry and exit from the rear doors of the bus only.
- Providing free rides to prevent the need for passengers to use the fare box at the front of the bus.
- Prohibiting seating immediately behind the driver.
- Providing drivers with masks, gloves and sanitary wipes.
- Cleaning the bus at the beginning and end of the line each time the bus completes a trip. Read more
What you can do to help reduce the spread of COVID-19
The Detroit Department of Transportation supports social distancing to help prevent the spread of germs and COVID-19. We ask that passengers:
- Board and exit using the rear doors. Only customers who require ADA ramp or bus-knelling are to use the front doors.
- Refrain from seating behind the bus driver.
- Sit every other seat on the bus.
- Contact Customer Service at (313) 933-1300 Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. for bus information. Expect delays due to high call volumes.
Remember to use hand sanitizer dispensers where available and to wash your hands often, and cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue. The CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Visit DDOT News for a listing of the latest rider alerts and service updates.
DDOT public meetings and hearings will be conducted virtually until further notice. Please visit the events page for dates and times.
DDOT is monitoring the following COVID-19-specific resources, which provide important information and situation updates on the outbreak: