MetroLift Paratransit Services
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was signed into federal law in 1990. The ADA requires all public transit operators provide complementary paratransit, or equivalent public transportation, to individuals with functional limitations who cannot independently board, ride or navigate accessible fixed-route public transportation.
What is MetroLift?
DDOT contracts with Transdev, Inc. to provide its paratransit service called MetroLift.
- MetroLift service provides origin to destination transportation within three quarters of a mile of each fixed route during the time of day (or day of the week) the route is in service.
- MetroLift is a shared ride service. This means that there may be other passengers that are picked up and/or dropped off between your origin and destination.
- Door to door assistance may be requested.
- If you need a reasonable accommodation, please contact DDOT Administration at 313-933-1300.
Only persons approved for MetroLift are able to request this service. To apply for eligibility:
- Complete an application and have a professional familiar with your disability complete the Professional Verification form.
- Return the completed application and Professional Verification form to DDOT Special Fares Office.
- Eligibility determinations can take up to 21 days from the time the application is received.
- Once a determination has been made, the applicant will receive a letter with an eligibility status and instructions on the next steps.
Scheduling a Trip
Once approved, you may schedule a trip by contacting Transdev at 313-208-7363.
- A MetroLift trip must made 1 to14 days in advance on a first come-first served basis. Same day trip scheduling is not available.
- Reservations may be scheduled Monday through Saturday 8:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
- To schedule a trip, provide the customer service representative with the following information:
- Your name, client ID number
- Your origin address, your destination address (names of the location are not acceptable as there may be more than one address for that location i.e. Henry Ford Hospital)
- The time to reach your destination. This is especially important if you have an appointment time.
- If you use a mobility aid (wheelchair, cane, walker, etc) and if you request door to door assistance
Riding on MetroLift
- Once your trip is scheduled, you will receive a pick up time. The driver is able to pick you up no more than 15 minutes before this time and no later than 15 minutes after this time. This is called the pick up window.
- Please be ready to travel during this pick up window. This means being in a safe location near the exit where you are able to wait but still able to see once the vehicle arrives.
- Drivers are only allowed to wait 5 minutes for a passenger to board the vehicle. After 5 mintues, the driver will have to leave to pick up other passengers.
Visitors to the Detroit area with disabilities are eligible to utilize paratransit service for up to 21 days within one year beginning with the visitor’s first use of service.
- Visitors who have an apparent disability or whom have ADA paratransit eligibility from another transit agency may contact DDOT and provide proof of eligibility for service in the DDOT service area.
- Visitor eligibility shall be provided privileges within one day of the initial request.
- Visitors shall be provided the same level of service as eligible DDOT passengers and are subject to the same service policy requirements.
Please see DDOT’s Paratransit Guide for all policies and procedures regarding MetroLift.
If you have a complaint or concern about MetroLift, please contact Transdev Customer Care at 313-208-7363, option 3.
If you feel you have been discriminated against because of your disability, please contact DDOT ADA Coordinator at [email protected] or call 313-833-3655.