Special Events


Customer are strongly encouraged to apply for Business Licenses online through BSEED's Electronic Licensing and Permitting System (eLAPS).

Application Guidelines

Refer to the table for the appropriate eLAPS application for your business.

Business License Type Record Type Application Name License Type
Carnival Special Event Festival / Carnival Carnival
Riding Devices (Carnival Rides) Special Event Festival / Carnival Carnival - Riding Devices (subtype)

Required Clearances

Refer to the table below for a breakdown of the Clearances required for your business.

Business License Type  Bond / Insurance   BSEED (Construction Division)   Environmental Health (Detroit Health Department)   Fire   Food Safety (Detroit Health Department)   Police   Property Maintenance  Treasury
Carnival X   X X X      
Riding Devices (Carnival Rides) X   X X        

Required Documents

Refer to the table below for a breakdown of the required documents to include in your business license application. All documents must be submitted through eLAPS.

License Type
City Council
Approved Petition
Proof of Ownership: Lease Contract / Property Deed Building
Bond / Insurance Site Diagram Current Identification
Carnival X X X X X X
Riding Devices (Carnival Rides)   X X X X X
Parking* X         X
Vendor* X         X

*Sub-License to Festival/ Carnival

Associated Fees

Business License applications are subject to multiple fees dependent on scope. Fee types and prices are subject to change. Charged annually.  



  • Carnival Non-Profit City Owned Land: $83.00/event
  • Carnival City Council Approved Dates: $58.00/event
  • Carnival City-Owned Land Friday/Saturday / Sunday / Holiday: $58.00/event

Riding Devices (Carnival Rides)

  • Riding Devices: $35.00/device


Clearance Instructions

Bond / Insurance

Environmental Health (Detroit Health Department)


  • Step 1: Call to confirm and pay fee. 
    • Phone: 313-596-2963
    • Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
    • Note: You can mail your payment or pay via phone with credit card for an additional 3% charge.
  • Step 2: Call to schedule inspection. 
    • Phone: 313-596-2954
    • Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    • In Person (note phone is preferred): 1301 Third St. Detroit MI 48226

Food Safety (Detroit Health Department)

  • You do not need to schedule this inspection. The Health Department will visit your location according to their schedule. If you have any questions, you may call Food Safety: 313-876-0135


  • Check with BSEED Licensing & Permits about whether you require a Police Department clearance and, if so, whether you need to visit the Police Department or whether they will conduct an unannounced inspection. Some business types that require Police Department clearance include:
    • Gas stations
    • Pedicabs
    • Valet drivers
    • Parking lot attendants
    • Junk collectors

Property Maintenance

  • Call to confirm Certificate of Compliance expiration and schedule inspection if needed. You will be mailed an invoice after the inspection takes place. You will not receive your C of C until all fees owed to BSEED have been paid.
    • Phone: (313) 628-2451
    • Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    • In Person: Buildings, Safety, Engineering and Environmental Department (BSEED)
    • CAYMC, 2 Woodward, Suite 412


  • Step 1: Get your Personal Property Tax ID. You must have this in order to apply for a clearance. 
  • Step 2: Use this link to access the clearance application: http://bit.ly/detroitclearances
    • Once on the website, select the appropriate clearance application. The application includes 2 pages:
      • Page 1 - Application Information
      • Page 2 - Security submits your social security and/or EIN to the City of Detroit
    • Both pages are required in order to complete your application. Failure to do so could result in a longer processing time. Please allow 7-10 business days for an update on your clearance. 
    • Email: [email protected]
    • In Person: Treasury, Clearance Unit, CAYMC, 2 Woodward Avenue