Customer Policies

Past Due Accounts and Service Interruptions

Don't wait until your service has been interrupted for nonpayment. If you receive a final notice, call the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) immediately at (313) 267-8000 to pay your past due balance. If you need to make payment arrangements, visit a Customer Care Center during business hours. The 10/30/50 Payment Plan is available for DWSD customers who have difficulty paying your past due balance. DWSD also collaborates with community partners to connect customers to assistance programs, including the Water Residential Assistance Program. Customers are responsible for paying bills on time and in full. As part of DWSD's continuing efforts to keep rates low, customers who fail to keep their accounts current will be issued a final notice to pay the past-due bill. Service interruptions procedures begin if payment has not been received by the due date stated in the Final Notice. If service is terminated, cash, credit/debit card, cashier's check and money order are accepted to restore service. A personal check will NOT be accepted to restore water service.


Permits and Demolition


New or changed service may require a permit from DWSD. For questions on permits or demolition clearances, please call (313) 267-8000.


To change, install or repair a meter, call Customer Care at (313) 267-8000 .

Request a fire hydrant permit.


Property Damage / Sewerage Claims

Visit the DWSD damage claims page.