All food facilities (permanent, temporary, fixed, or mobile) are required to obtain a license before beginning operations. Food service licenses are non-transferrable. 

Renewing a food service license

Licenses expire every year on April 30th. Renewal applications and invoices will be sent in the mail. You may pay online with a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover) or by mail (we accept business checks, cashier’s checks, and money orders, made payable to ‘City of Detroit’).

Purchasing or opening a food establishment

If you are planning on purchasing or opening a food establishment there are several steps that must be taken. Below is information to give you an approximate idea of what to expect. Licenses are not transferrable - a new license must be obtained every time there is a change in facility ownership. Payment online is for Food Service License Renewals Only!

  • New Owner/New Establishment Food Service License Application
  • Food Service Fee Schedule

If the facility is open and operating

If the facility has been closed

Please contact the Food Safety Unit at (313) 876-0135 to determine what steps will need to be taken. Factors such as how long the facility has been closed, and any facility or equipment changes will determine whether a plan review will be needed.

If a plan review is not needed, after submitting all required documents and fees, the area inspector will review the submitted documents and then schedule an inspection to review the facility and food safety procedures. If everything is found to be in compliance with the Michigan Food Law and Food Code, approval to begin operating will be given. You will then receive a routine inspection approximately every 6 months.

Constructing a new food establishment or remodeling an existing establishment

A plan review must be submitted to the Detroit Health Department and approved before construction can begin. Please see the plan review page for more information

Temporary licenses

A temporary food establishment operates at a fixed location for a period not to exceed 14 consecutive days. Please see the temporary events page for more information.

Mobile/Special Transitory Food Unit (STFU) licenses

There are two types of licenses for mobile food establishments such as food trucks, hot dog carts, ice cream trucks, or similar. Each license type has its own requirements for licensing, inspections, and plan review. Please see the mobile food establishments and special transitory food unit’s page for more information.

Note: There is no specific catering license. A catering business is licensed as a Food Service Restaurant and must meet all of the requirements for a restaurant.