Renew Detroit is a program that provides free repairs to eligible Detroit homeowners using funds from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA). The program will be held in two phases, with Phase 1 calling for 1,000 Roof Replacements. The application for Phase 1 closed on October 31, 2021. If you missed the application period, click on the “Inquire about Phase 2” button below to submit your contact information in order to be notified regarding the opening of the Phase 2 application.
The Renew Detroit team is actively reviewing and scoring Phase 1 applications through the months of November, December and January. Phase 1 selections will be finalized and communicated in February 2022. There will be 3 notification milestones throughout the review period:
- 1st Notification:
- December 2021 Renew Detroit applicants without a HOPE application received by 11/12/2021 deadline will be notified they are not eligible.
- 2nd Notification:
- January 2022 Renew Detroit applicants without a granted 2021 HOPE exemption will be notified they are not eligible.
- 3rd/final Notification:
- Remaining eligible Renew Detroit applicants will all receive their Home Repair Score and whether they have been selected for Phase 1.
This program is limited to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Homeowner is a senior (62+) or homeowner is disabled.
- HOPE Application Approval in 2021 (Owners approved in 2019 and 2020 are automatically approved in 2021)
- Home has not received a 10,000 grant from the City of Detroit in the last 10 years
Please click here for the Renew Detroit eligibility criteria that can be shared with your networks
Who is selected?
All eligible applicants will receive a home repair score. The highest score of 1000 will be selected for the first phase.
Scores based on:
- Duration of home ownership
- HOPE exemption level
- Number of family members
- Bonus: Senior Emergency Waiting List or Weatherization roof-only deferral letter
- Tiebreaker: Condition / repair required according to home assessment
For more information on home repair scores, click here .
How to apply
Phase 1 applications closed on October 31, 2021. If you missed the application period, click on the “Inquire about Phase 2” button above to submit your contact information in order to be notified regarding the opening of the Phase 2 application. Phase 2 applications will open in Fall 2022.
How does the Renew Detroit program compare to the City’s existing Senior Emergency Home Repair (“SEHR”) program?
Although there are many similarities between the two programs, the Renew Detroit and SEHR programs are not the same. The Renew Detroit team will contact each home on the SEHR waitlist during the first two weeks of October to explain the differences between the two programs and encourage homeowners to apply for Renew Detroit. Applying for the Renew Detroit program does not change the owner's place on the SEHR waitlist. If the program is selected based on the above rules, owners will have the option to choose which program they would like to participate in. For more information on specific differences between programs, click here.
Frequently asked questions
If your question is not included in the document linked below, please contact us at [email protected] The FAQ will continue to be updated as we receive questions.
Make an appointment for personal assistance to complete the HOPE application