Request a Permit

Request a permit for the water and sewer system.

City of Detroit property owners, developers or their authorized representatives, such as engineers, engineering consultants and contractors, are required to obtain Detroit Water and Sewerage Department’s (DWSD) permit for the following:
  • Water tap to the City’s water main
  • Sewer tap to the City’s sewer collection system
  • Hydrant use
  • Demolition 
Go to this online form to apply for the DWSD permit(s), if:
  • You have received DWSD approval through the Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department (BSEED) of the City of Detroit as a part of your building permit review process via ProjectDox;
  • You have already received the BSEED building permit;
  • You have received a Detroit Fire Marshal approval for a fire suppression system;
  • You need a DWSD permit and are not required to go through the BSEED permitting process; or
  • You are demolishing house(s) and/or building(s) in Detroit where existing water and/or sewer connection(s) exist.


  1. If your application for the building permit or fire suppression system is in process through BSEED ProjectDox, then BSEED will route your application to DWSD for review and approval within ProjectDox before you apply for an official DWSD permit using this online form.
  2. Submit the final site plans with a scope of work description using the online form indicating which sheets contain your civil site drawings related to water and/or sewer. These plan sheets should clearly highlight the connection points to the DWSD system(s) on the plans/drawings.
Fire Line Flow Test Request:
  • Some customers may need to request a Fire Line Flow Test as part of the permitting process.
  • View the DWSD Fire Flow Process.
  • Submit the DWSD Flow Test request online and attach a completed copy of this editable form.