Request a Permit
Request a permit for the water and sewer system.
City of Detroit property owners, developers or their authorized representatives, such as engineers, engineering consultants and contractors, are required to obtain Detroit Water and Sewerage Department’s (DWSD) permit for the following:
- Water tap to the City’s water main
- Sewer tap to the City’s sewer collection system
- Hydrant use
For a list of registered, licensed plumbers in the city of Detroit, click here.
Water and/or Sewer Service Permit
Review the following documents in order to follow the required steps to request a permit and move through the process.
- Water and Sewer Tap Permit Application Guide
- Water and Sewer Tap Permit Application Form Packet
- Steps Involved in Permitting Process
- Requirements to Issue DWSD Permit
- Water and Sewer Service Permit Application Checklist with associated links to download the required forms
- Service Connection Standards
- Drawing Plan Submittal Requirements
- Standards and Specifications
- Go to this online form to obtain Permit Engineering approval and DWSD permit(s), if:
- You have received DWSD approval through the City of Detroit Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department (BSEED) as a part of your building permit review process via ProjectDox;
- You have already received the BSEED building permit;
- You have received a Detroit Fire Marshal approval for a fire suppression system; or
- You need a DWSD permit and are not required to go through the BSEED permitting process.
- If your application for the building permit or fire suppression system is in process through BSEED ProjectDox, then BSEED will route your application to DWSD for review and approval within ProjectDox before you apply for an official DWSD permit using this online form.
- Submit the final site plans with a scope of work description using the online form indicating which sheets contain your civil site drawings related to water and/or sewer. These plan sheets should clearly highlight the connection points to the DWSD system(s) on the plans/drawings.
Detroit property owners who are proposing to tap a DWSD water main for a fire line are required to have DWSD perform a fire line flow test. Please see below for the steps involved in these processes and associated application.
Fire Line Flow Test Request:
Due to freezing weather conditions, DWSD Fire Line Flow Tests are temporarily suspended at this time. Customers may continue to submit requests, but should note that completion of tests will resume when weather conditions are favorable for required testing. if you have any questions, please contact:
- Mackenzy Shega-Fox at 313-858-1124 or [email protected]; or
- Permits at [email protected] and please include "Fire Flow Test Inquiry" in the subject line.
- View the "Steps involved in the Fire Line Flow Test Request Process."
- Submit the DWSD Flow Test Request online and attach a completed copy of this editable/printable form.
Detroit property owners who want to demolish a building/structure are required to obtain Demolition Clearance. They are also required to obtain a Fire Hydrant Use Permit to use for demolition purposes. If you need to use a fire hydrant for purposes other than demolition, you are required to obtain a Fire Hydrant Use Only Permit. See below for the steps involved in these processes and the associated permit application.
Demolition Clearance and Associated Fire Hydrant Use Permit
- Steps involved in Demolition Process and Associated Fire Hydrant Use Process
- Demolition and Associated Fire Hydrant Use Permit Packet
Fire Hydrant Use Only Permit
- Submit your application for Demolition Clearance and Associated Fire Hydrant Use using this online form.
- Submit your application for Fire Hydrant Use Only using this online form.