On June 15, 2021, the Detroit City Council voted to accept the NEZ Homestead (NEZ-H) boundary modifications and newly established NEZ Homestead zones. If you received a letter from the Office of the Assessor identifying that your property is located in one of the NEZ Homestead zones, if you meet the criteria, you are now eligible to apply.
Once the NEZ Homestead application is processed, a Neighborhood Enterprise Zone Homestead Letter of Declaration will be mailed to the taxpayer. For as long as the NEZ-H certificate remains in effect, it is your responsibility to notify your mortgage company that you will receive TWO tax bills in the summer and TWO tax bills in the winter. One bill is for the land and the other is for the building(s). The abatement only applies to the parcel with the building. Please be advised that failure to pay either tax bill can result in removal of the NEZ-H designation or tax foreclosure on the property.
The NEZ Homestead abatement reduces both the City of Detroit and the Wayne County Operating Millage by 50 percent. This typically results in a 15 to 20 percent savings for most homeowners. Please keep in mind, the tax savings is a reduction in the City and County operating millage rates. All other millage rates and fees remain the same.
In order to determine if you are eligible for the NEZ-H property tax abatement:
- You must have purchased your home after December 31, 1996
- You must both own and occupy your home as your primary residence. The deed or land contract must be in your name, you must have a Property Transfer Affidavit (PTA) and Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) on file with the Office of the Assessor.
- You must commit to a minimum of $500 in repairs/improvements to your home over a two-year period.
Please read before applying:
Before proceeding, note applications for same year purchasers will not be processed until the following year after the close of the March Board of Review, it will be processed before the summer tax bills are prepared. Gather the following items and be ready to attach them to the online application. The attachments can be in PDF, JPEG, or Microsoft word format. These attachments are required for submission:
- A copy of your registered deed, or land contract.
- A copy of your driver’s license identifying you live at the property under application.
- A copy of your Principal Residence Exemption (PRE).
Email: [email protected]