Opening or Purchasing a New Restaurant

If you are planning on purchasing or opening a food establishment there are several steps that must be taken. Below is information to give you an approximate idea of what to expect. A new license must be obtained every time there is a change in facility ownership.

If the facility is open and operating

  • You may want to review the previous inspection reports from the facility to see if there are any items that may be in need of correction. Be sure to review any items related to equipment or ventilation, as these can be costly to repair.
  • Complete and submit a Change of Ownership form along with:

If the facility has been closed

Please contact the Food Safety Unit at (313) 876-0135 to determine what steps will need to be taken. Factors such as how long the facility has been closed, and any facility or equipment changes will determine whether a plan review will be needed.

Constructing a new food establishment or remodeling an existing establishment

A plan review must be submitted to the Detroit Health Department and approved before construction can begin.Please see the plan review page for more information.