Grand River Streetscape Project
Week Look Ahead (Monday, October 14th to Saturday, October 19th)
- Installation of traffic signal foundation at Evergreen
- Installation of traffic signal poles on North Side
- Continue to pour sidewalk on North Side
- Mill and Resurfacing the northern 4 lanes, up to half of the existing center lane. Note: From 4 a.m. Monday, October 14th to 6 p.m. Tuesday, October 15th one lane of traffic in each direction (EB & WB) and parking lane on south side will be maintained. The center turn lane will be closed on Monday and Tuesday.
- After resurfacing is complete on North Side, traffic will be switched to the North Side. Crews will start work on South Side.
- Start watermain work on South Side. Crews will start from Evergreen and work towards Southfield
MDOT in partnership with the City of Detroit, will be resurfacing and providing streetscape improvements to approximately 2.8 miles of the road. The goals of this project include improving mobility by implementing traffic calming measures and strengthening foot traffic for existing and new businesses.
What is Going On
Street enhancements from M-39 Service Drive to Berg Rd.
When Will the Project Happen?
Construction will begin in the summer of 2019 and continue through the summer of 2020.
What Changes Will See?
This project will include road resurfacing, water main work through DWSD, two-way cycle track, improved on street parking, pedestrian islands, mid-block crossings, landscaping, new signalized intersections, and bus islands.
Why Are These Changes Being Made in the Streetscape Nodes?
The goal of a streetscape project is to achieve a beautiful corridor where neighborhood businesses can thrive and where people feel safe and welcomed. The improvements will better support all forms of transportation including walking, biking, riding transit and taking a car.
Grand River will remain open during construction and access to businesses will be maintained. Free public parking is available at a number of locations. Please see the map below for more information.