Project Clean Slate FAQs
- Project Clean Slate is a City of Detroit initiative that helps eligible residents expunge criminal convictions and improve access to better employment, housing, and education opportunities. Project Clean Slate is completely FREE! Our team at PCS provides attorneys and expungement services to support with the expungement process at no cost.
PCS is open to City of Detroit residents ONLY! Applicants must provide proof of Detroit residency.
Listed below are the legislative requirements for expungement. Please note that we review each application on a case-by-case basis. We encourage you to register for PCS and allow our team of attorneys to review your record.
- No more than 3 felonies and unlimited misdemeanors (with exclusions).
- Waiting periods vary (3, 5, or 7 years).
- Traffic convictions may be expunged (with exclusions).
- "One Bad Night" allows convictions committed during same incident to be treated as one conviction (with exclusions).
Project Clean Slate is open to City of Detroit residents only. If you are not a Detroit resident, please contact your local Michigan Works ! Agency, Lakeshore Legal Aid, or Legal Aid and Defenders Association.
Linked below are additional resources and information on how to obtain an expungement in the State of Michigan:
On average, the expungement process takes 1 year from the time of registration to the expungement hearing. This process is completed in 5 steps:
- Eligibility review
- Signing /Fingerprinting
- Record ordering
- Application Filing
- Expungement Hearing