Motor City Match awardee Craig's Coffee brews a bright future in Detroit
• Craig’s Coffee manufactures and distributes high-quality, sustainably sourced coffee
• The roastery and cafe will offer space as a pop-up for local eateries and entrepreneurs
• Owner Craig Batory worked with Detroit-based contractors, suppliers and artists to build his business and brand
• Craig’s Coffee is a proud Motor City Match Round 20 award recipient
• Motor City Match has awarded $12.9M in cash grants; 81% of overall winners are minority-owned businesses and 70% are women-owned
Craig's Coffee, a Detroit coffee roastery and cafe in Midtown, celebrated its grand opening Sept. 20 with Deputy Mayor Todd Bettison, City officials and community supporters today at its facility at 412 Peterboro Street. With an emphasis on product quality and sustainability, the establishment has set its sights on becoming a haven for coffee connoisseurs.
In 2014, California native and owner Craig Batory moved to Detroit with his partner after she enrolled in graduate school. While working as a freelance writer covering the coffee industry, Batory soon immersed himself in it firsthand. His solid foundation in coffee roasting, honed in his home state, coupled with his experience in digital marketing, positioned him for a dynamic entry into the industry.
In January 2020, Batory started roasting coffee beans in his basement. As the business grew, he expanded operations to a pop-up location at Coffeehaus in Detroit before landing in his current facility. Today, Craig’s Coffee features an array of international and locally sourced coffee beans from Brazil, Guatemala, Ethiopia and the Motor City. It also offers a variety of exotic loose-leaf teas and coffee-brewing products, all of which can be found in-store and online at www.craigs.coffee.