Application opens on January 19th at 5pm. Apply Now.
Most City of Detroit offices to close for Christmas and New Year’s Holidays
Most City of Detroit offices will be closed starting Thursday, Dec. 24, 2020 in observance of the Christmas and New Year’s holidays and reopen on Monday, Jan. 4, 2021. Normal police, fire and bus services will be provided. Please note the following:
- The Department of Public Works (DPW) will NOT collect refuse, recycling and bulk items on Christmas and New Year’s Day. Collection will occur one day later than scheduled. During both weeks, Friday's collection will take place on Saturday.
- The Detroit Department of Transportation (DDOT) will operate bus service on Christmas (Dec. 25) and New Year’s Day (Jan. 1) as a Sunday schedule. Regular weekday bus service will be provided on Dec. 24 and Dec. 31.
- The Detroit People Mover remains closed at this time.
- The Water and Sewerage Department will continue to respond to emergencies including water main breaks. Customer Care for account assistance at 313-267-8000 will be closed Dec. 24-27 and Dec. 31 - Jan. 3. Customers can still pay their bill by phone or at a kiosk, or access their accounts at detroitmi.gov/paymywaterbill.
- The Department of Appeals and Hearings (DAH) will be closed Dec. 23 - Jan. 1. The department will reopen on Jan. 4.
- The Buildings, Safety Engineering and Environmental Department (BSEED) will be closed on Dec. 23 through January 1. Normal operations will resume January 4 by appointment only. Customers will not be serviced without an appointment. Go to detroitmi.gov/bseed to make an appointment. Customers also are encouraged to use the Electronic License and Permitting System (eLAPS) by visiting detroitmi.gov/bseed/elaps. All electronic and online services are offered 24/7via ACCELA. During the holidays, individuals may call BSEED at (313) 628-2451 in case of an emergency, such as no heat or power or to report water or sewage in the basement.
- Under the Municipal Parking Department, Ford Underground Garage will be closed Christmas and New Year’s Day. The Eastern Market Garage will be closed Dec. 24-25 and Dec. 31 & Jan. 1.
- Parking enforcement will be suspended from Dec. 24 - Jan. 3., and individuals are encouraged to take advantage of the opportunity to support Detroit businesses.
Although offices may be closed, many City services, such as tax and fee payments and permit applications, are available online at detroitmi.gov. In terms of some payments to the City of Detroit, individuals also may utilize the DivDat kiosk or mobile app.