Property Taxes

Property Taxes FAQ

When are my property taxes due?

City of Detroit taxes may be paid in installments. If you choose the installment option you must pay your first and second payment on or before the due dates listed below. If your first payment is not received by the due date (August 15) you are no longer eligible to participate in the partial payment program and the full Summer payment will be due on August 31. Any remaining summer balance will be subject to penalty and interest from July 1st. 

Does the city of Detroit have any programs to help citizens pay their taxes?

The city of Detroit may grant a "hardship" exemption to qualifying citizens.  For more information on this program contact the Assessors' Division at (313) 224-3035.  Additionally, the Treasury Division has instituted a Senior Property Tax Deferred Payment Program. This program allows qualified seniors to defer their Summer and Winter property tax payments to February 14.  Senior Citizen may also apply for the Solid Waste Discount. You may obtain both applications via the Citizen Tax Help Center in Room 136 of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center.

I did not receive a tax bill. What should I do?

There may be several reasons why you may not have received your tax bill:

A. If you paid off your mortgage, the City may not have been notified and will continue sending your tax statements to the mortgage company.  To correct this, please bring your pay off information to our customer service center located in Room 136 of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center.

B. The City may have the wrong mailing address on file.  Please visit the Assessor’s Office located in Room 804 of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center to change the mailing address. Please note you will need to provide proof of ownership (i.e., warranty deed, quick claim deed, etc.).

If at any time you need a copy of your current tax bill, you can visit our customer service center located in Room 136 of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center. There is no charge to receive a copy of a tax bill as long as you are the property owner and your name is stated on the bill.

What is SET ( State Education Tax)?

It is a statewide tax that supports all public schools in Michigan. The current SET rate is six mills, and taxes are required to be paid in the summer.

The SET is levied on all property types (residential, industrial, personal, etc.) in the State of Michigan

What is a mill?

A mill is $1 per $1,000 of the taxable value of the property.

Example:  If the taxable value of a house is $20,000 and your rate is 35 mills, then your tax is $700.  If the taxable value is $10,000 and your tax rate is 35 mills, then your tax is $350.

What is a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE)?

The State of Michigan provides an exemption of 18 mills from a portion of the property tax bill for a taxpayer’s primary residence. You must own and occupy your home. To file for a PRE exemption, visit the Assessment Division, Room 804 Coleman A. Young Municipal Center or call (313) 224-3035.

If I didn't buy or sell my house/property or make any improvements last year, why did my taxes increase?

There are two components in calculating the tax bill amount - the taxable value and the millage rate. The taxable value increases in conjunction with the Consumer Price Index (CPI), and changes in the millage rates determined by various referendums approved by the voters. Multiply the taxable value by the millage rate to estimate the tax bill amount.

My parents, sibling, cousin, etc gave me house. Why did my taxes increase?

Even though there was no sale, there was a transfer of ownership. When this occurs, the taxable value generally equals the State Equalized Value (SEV). A transfer of ownership can significantly increase the taxable value, which increases the taxes. Taxable value is generally lower than the SEV or capped value, and the SEV is traditionally 50 percent of the market value

What is Debt Service listed on the tax bill?

Debt Service accounts for the payment of interest and principal on long-term debt. The City of Detroit issues long-term contractual obligations (bonds) to provide working capital for long periods.

Why was my city tax bill transferred to the Wayne County Treasurer in December?

Michigan Public Act 246 of 2003 requires that all delinquent City of Detroit, Wayne County, School Education Tax and Detroit Public School Real Estate Taxes be transferred to the Wayne County Treasurer for collection on March 1.

Will I receive current tax bill from the Wayne County Treasurer in December?

No. Effective December 2004, the City of Detroit Treasurer began collecting all real and personal taxes for properties located in Detroit.  Beginning with the 2003 tax year, The Wayne County Treasurer only bills and collects delinquent real property taxes.

What if I owe delinquent taxes for 2002 and prior years?

If you owe delinquent real and/or personal property taxes for the City of Detroit for tax years 2002 and prior, please contact the Revenue Collections Department at located at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, room 1012, Detroit, Michigan 48226 or by calling (313) 224-4179 . Please make checks payable to Treasurer, City of Detroit and mail to Treasury Division, City of Detroit, PO Box 33523, Detroit, Michigan 48232-5523.

How long will it take for my payment to post to my account?

Generally, your payment will post to your account within two weeks. However, during the peak tax season, please allow additional time.

Why was I charged an NSF fee when I placed a stop payment on my check?

Generally, when the taxpayer issues a stop payment and the City does not receive the funds, the taxpayer is charged an additional fee to cover the processing involved in the returned check transaction.

I have a property tax credit. How do I get a refund?

You may submit by mail or bring a copy of your paid receipt or the cancelled check and/or money order (front & back) to our Customer Service Center located in Room 136 of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, Detroit, MI 48226.

Why do I have to prove I overpaid my taxes to receive my refund?

This process provides the proper documentation for proof of payment to ensure that the Treasury Division refunds the money to the legal owner.

How long does it take for my refund to be processes and the money returned to me?

Please allow 4-6 weeks for your refund to be processed. The time is needed to audit the account to ensure the refund is accurate and paid to the proper party. However, during the peak tax season, please allow additional time.

Where is the payment drop box located? Can I put cash in the drop box?

The payment drop box is located in the Treasury's Cashier Office, Room 154 of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center. DO NOT PUT CASH IN THE DROP BOX. Payments should be in the form of checks or money orders. Please allow approximately 48 hours for payments to be processed.

I no longer have a business in Detroit, so why am I still receiving tax bills?

To have the tax bills corrected, please visit the Assessments Division - Personal Property Section located in Room 804 of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center. However, if your business was located in the city of Detroit on December 31 you are liable for current property taxes.

I purchased this property from the State of Michigan. Do I have to pay the delinquent taxes on the property?

Generally no. However, to remove the taxes from your bill, you will need to bring two copies of the certified deed to the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center. For tax years 2002 & prior, take one copy to the Customer Service Center located in Room 136 and the second copy to the Assessments Division, Room 804. After the certified deed has been submitted, all taxes prior to the purchase from the State of Michigan may be cancelled.

What are the contact numbers for tax information on property located in the City of Detroit?

The following number is for real property and personal property tax information:

(313) 224-3560