Property Tax Assistance

Our goal is to have every Detroiter stay in their home and avoid foreclosure

There is a June 30th deadline to enter into a Wayne County Property Tax payment plan at a reduced interest rate if you owe delinquent taxes.  Thousands of Detroit families have successfully avoided foreclosure by taking advantage of this program.

If you are struggling to pay your city property taxes, you may be eligible for a number of programs the city offers to help reduce your property tax burden.  For more information or to apply, please visit the Detroit Taxpayer Service Center at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, 2 Woodward Avenue. The phone number is 313-224-3560.

You will need the following application paperwork:

If you are applying for the NEIGHBORHOOD ENTERPRISE ZONE HOMESTEAD (NEZ-H), bring the completed application and the following items:

  • Three (3) copies of recorded conveyance (Deed or Land Contract)
  • One (1) original and two (2) copies of NEZ-H application
  • One (1) copy of your driver’s license or state ID. It must show the same NEZ-H address for which you are applying.
  • All applicable fees(s) must be paid at the time of application for the application to be filed.
  • Your property must be already noted in our records as your principal residence.
  • Complete description of proposed improvements that will be made after the NEZ-Homestead Certificate is issued.


If you are applying for a SENIOR CITIZEN SOLID WASTE DISCOUNT, you will need to bring:


  • Proof of annual income of $40,000 or less (federal tax return, state tax return, or Michigan Property Tax Credit Form). If none are available, reverse side of application must be notarized affirming income.
  • Proof of applicant’s identity, address and age (valid driver’s license, state ID, passport or other government issued photo identification).


If you are applying for POVERTY EXEMPTION, you will need to bring:


  • Valid driver’s license or state ID.
  • Home must have Principal Residence Exemption (100% for single unit, 50% for multi-unit).


If you are applying for a PRINCIPAL RESIDENCE EXEMPTION (PRE), you will need to bring:


  • Valid driver’s license or state ID (If name on ID is different than what is listed in the tax records of the City of Detroit, then a stamped Property Transfer Affidavit is required).