DWSD Damage Claims & Sewage Backups

Do you have an overflow or sewer backup?

Contact the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) upon discovery of an overflow or sewer backup at 313-267-8000. If you have an overflow or sewer backup into your home or business, complete a DWSD claim form and submit online or by mail (see below). State law requires you file a written claim with your local water utility, DWSD in this case, within 45 days of when the overflow or backup was discovered.

Who is responsible?

Did you file a claim with DWSD?

DWSD reviews your claim and responds within 120 days after the 45-day deadline as noted above. There is no need to contact DWSD to follow-up on your claim -- it will not fast-track the process. In some instances, DWSD staff or representative may contact you for additional information such as receipts and photographs.

Claim Form Instructions:

  • Download the DWSD Damage Claims Form and complete on your computer or mobile device and submit online, or print and sign to send via mail, or print and complete by hand.
  • The claim form must be completed in its entirety and supporting documents must be attached. Failure to provide the required documentation will bar your claim.
  • If you need step-by-step instructions, view this file.
  • Mail the claim form to:

    Office of the General Counsel

    735 Randolph, Suite 901, Detroit, MI 48226