Unemployment (UIA) Help

City of Detroit Economic Necessity Employees: Furloughed, Workshare & Layoff

Layoff/Furlough Employees: The employee is responsible to certify through MIWAM or Telephone with the Unemployment agency bi-weekly (every two weeks)

You can certify your benefits through your MiWAM account under your account alerts or by calling MARVIN at 1-866-638-3993. It takes 24-28 hours for your MiWAM account to update after certifying online or by phone.


Workshare Employees: The City of Detroit will certify payments to Unemployment Agency every two weeks on behalf of the employees

Furloughed /Lay off Employees Reopening Claim


FAQ – Reopening an Existing Claim:

  • Do not create a new account. Use your same MiWAM username and password you used previously. · Visit Michigan.gov/uia for instructions if you forgot your MiWAM password.
  • Reopen your claim during the first week of unemployment or reduced work hours or wages.
  • Have your Employer Account number (EAN) or Federal Identification Number (FEIN)
  • Payments will be made using the same payment method previously selected.
  • If you previously had a Bank of America card, the funds will be added to the card.
  • If you no longer have the BOA card, or have a problem with your existing card, contact Bank of America at 1-866-436-1964 or https://www.visaprepaidprocessing.com/miuiadebitcard.
  • To change your payment method, click the Claimant Services tab; then click Modify Benefit Payment Method.
  • · Be sure to read and respond to all requests for information to avoid payment delays.
  • · When certifying for benefits, be sure to report your gross earnings (amount before taxes and other deductions) in the week in which they were earned, not when you were paid.
  • · After you’ve completed your claim, a Confirmation page will display the date of your next certification.


Reopen or File Your Claim Online with MiWAM at Michigan.gov/uia. Questions? Contact UIA Customer Service at 1-866-500-0017 or Chat with an agent using MiWAM.



Report Fraudulent Claim or Identity

If you have found your company or employee is a victim of UI fraud or Identity Theft, there are several ways to report to UI:

  • Report fraud online at www.michigan.gov/uia and select the “Report Fraud” or “Report Identity Theft”
  • Call the UIA Customer Service Hotline at 1-866-500-0017
  • Complete the Statement of Identity Theft (Form 6349). You may submit the form by uploading it to your MiWAM account by clicking Send Unemployment a Message. You may also mail to Unemployment Insurance Agency, PO Box 169, Grand Rapids, MI 49501, or by fax at 517-636-0427