Early Voter Centers for February Presidential Primary Open

Learn more.

Unemployment (UIA) Help

City of Detroit Economic Necessity Employees: Furloughed, Workshare & Layoff

Layoff/Furlough Employees: The employee is responsible to certify through MIWAM or Telephone with the Unemployment agency bi-weekly (every two weeks)

You can certify your benefits through your MiWAM account under your account alerts or by calling MARVIN at 1-866-638-3993. It takes 24-28 hours for your MiWAM account to update after certifying online or by phone.


Workshare Employees: The City of Detroit will certify payments to Unemployment Agency every two weeks on behalf of the employees

Furloughed /Lay off Employees Reopening Claim


FAQ – Reopening an Existing Claim:

  • Do not create a new account. Use your same MiWAM username and password you used previously. · Visit Michigan.gov/uia for instructions if you forgot your MiWAM password.
  • Reopen your claim during the first week of unemployment or reduced work hours or wages.
  • Have your Employer Account number (EAN) or Federal Identification Number (FEIN)
  • Payments will be made using the same payment method previously selected.
  • If you previously had a Bank of America card, the funds will be added to the card.
  • If you no longer have the BOA card, or have a problem with your existing card, contact Bank of America at 1-866-436-1964 or https://www.visaprepaidprocessing.com/miuiadebitcard.
  • To change your payment method, click the Claimant Services tab; then click Modify Benefit Payment Method.
  • · Be sure to read and respond to all requests for information to avoid payment delays.
  • · When certifying for benefits, be sure to report your gross earnings (amount before taxes and other deductions) in the week in which they were earned, not when you were paid.
  • · After you’ve completed your claim, a Confirmation page will display the date of your next certification.


Reopen or File Your Claim Online with MiWAM at Michigan.gov/uia. Questions? Contact UIA Customer Service at 1-866-500-0017 or Chat with an agent using MiWAM.


Update On Work Search - May 7, 2021 Work Search Requirements Coming Soon

In the near future, claimants receiving unemployment benefits will be required to actively search for work in order to receive unemployment benefits. The requirement has been waived since March 2020 due to the pandemic, but because of Michigan's lower unemployment rate, the requirement will soon be reinstated.


What does this mean for you?

To continue to receive unemployment benefits claimants will be required to actively seek work and report at least one work search activity during your bi-weekly certification for benefits. Your benefits will not be paid until your work search activities have been reported.


What Is a Work Search Activity?

Work search activities include applying for jobs in person or online, attending job fairs or employment workshops, or searching job listings at sites like Monster.com, LinkedIn or MITalent.org.

We will ask how and when you applied for the position and for the company's contact information. Work search activities must be entered at the time of certification or your certification is not complete, and your benefit payment will not be issued.


Who Has to Do a Work Search?

Reporting your work search activities will be required for most claimants receiving unemployment benefits. If you have an approved waiver, the requirement is waived and you are not required to search for work. A person may be eligible for a waiver due to COVID-19 related reasons. More information on waivers will be forthcoming.


Report Fraudulent Claim or Identity

If you have found your company or employee is a victim of UI fraud or Identity Theft, there are several ways to report to UI:

  • Report fraud online at www.michigan.gov/uia and select the “Report Fraud” or “Report Identity Theft”
  • Call the UIA Customer Service Hotline at 1-866-500-0017
  • Complete the Statement of Identity Theft (Form 6349). You may submit the form by uploading it to your MiWAM account by clicking Send Unemployment a Message. You may also mail to Unemployment Insurance Agency, PO Box 169, Grand Rapids, MI 49501, or by fax at 517-636-0427