Our community funding is based on Census count. Read more...
Become A Sisterfriend
What is SisterFriends Detroit?
SisterFriends Detroit is a volunteer effort to support healthier moms and babies. SisterFriends Detroit mentors pregnant moms and their families until their baby’s first birthday.
Who is a SisterFriend?
A SisterFriend (SF) is a person who is willing to commit to mentoring a pregnant woman who lives in the city of Detroit. The Mentor provides social support by helping the expecting mom to navigate barriers and to ensure that she is connected to necessary resources to have a healthy pregnancy and thriving infant.
A SisterFriend must be willing to do the following:
- Attend a one time, two-hour training session to learn about the program, resources for pregnant moms and most importantly, meet their little sister.
- Attend at least 4 monthly “baby bunch” educational sessions with their little sisters filled with fun activities and important resources for both moms and their SisterFriends.
- Be available. Check in with your little sister on a regular basis. This could be something as simple as connecting via text once a week to offer encouragement or meeting for coffee
There are lots of benefits to becoming a SisterFriend:
- Gratification of knowing that you are contributing to the reduction of infant mortality
- Invitation to invite only Sister Circle meetings and other events
- Connect with other like-minded volunteers