The Department of Transportation also operated a downtown trolley in the 1980s.
As of May 31, 1987, DDOT accepted coins as the only cash option, although fare tickets and monthly passes were also available.
A hand-tallied of coach miles operated for the fiscal year 1987-1988.
The following seven photos were taken by Charles N. Narozny, (1926-2005), who dedicated 34 years of public service to the City of Detroit government, starting in 1949 as a clerk in the Assessor’s Offices and then for the Elections Commission. He was promoted to senior committee clerk for Detroit City Council in 1961 where he remained for more than 20 years until his retirement in 1983. Concurrently, in the evenings and on weekends, he maintained a professional portrait and event photography business for more than 40 years, serving hundreds of customers in the metro Detroit area. Constantly on the move (during his lunchtime and after hours) near his downtown Detroit office, Charles captured thousands of images, documenting famous Detroit landmarks, demolitions, construction projects, and historical events in traditional 4x5 inch, 6x7cm, and 35mm film formats. He processed and printed all of his own black and white photography in his customized home darkroom, where his wife and six children all took turns as his photo lab and office assistants. Charles also proudly served in the Marine Corps in WWII for two years in the south Pacific and Guam, where he earned an Honorable Discharge in 1945.
1955 Campus Martius
1967 Campus Martius
1972 Jefferson and Woodward
1973 Pre Hart Plaza
1975 Cadillac Square
Do you have old pictures or other memorabilia from DSR or DDOT? Email us at [email protected]!