Apply for Detroit Legacy certification by March 12, for more information visit our website.
Why the Census Matters
Billions of federal dollars are distributed to Michigan and the City of Detroit every year based on the Census count. The more people counted means more representation in Congress and the Michigan Legislature and more federal funding for roads, education, and health care.
In 2015, Michigan received over $14 billion a year for programs like:
- Medicaid ($6 billion)
- Medicare Part B ($2.3 billion)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program ($2.3 billion)
- Highway planning and construction ($1 billion)
- Title 1 Education and Special Education Grants ($900 million)
- Section 8 housing ($600 million)
- Head Start/Early Head Start ($300 million)
- National School Lunch Program ($300 million)