Sales and Analysis

1. What is a Transfer of Ownership? 

Transfer of ownership is the conveyance of title to, or a present interest in property, including the beneficial use of the property and both the buyer and seller must agree to the terms of the transfer.

2. What is a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE)?

The State of Michigan provides an exemption of 18 mills from a portion of the property tax bill for a taxpayer’s primary residence. You must own and occupy your home.

3. How can I submit my Property Transfer Affidavit (PTA) form L-4260 and/or Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) form 2368?

Property Transfer Affidavit (PTA) and Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) forms can submitted:

Electronically via email to [email protected]   or

In person at the Detroit Taxpayer Service Center (DTSC), 2 Woodward Avenue, suite 130, Detroit, MI 48226. 

Office hours: Monday - Thursday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

The completed Property Transfer Affidavit (PTA) must be filed by the new owner with the assessor for the city or township where the property is located within 45 days of the transfer.

Forms are available at the Detroit Taxpayer Service Center (DTSC) in suite 130 and in the Forms Library outside of suite 130.  The forms are also available via links on the Office of the Assessor's website ( 


4.  What is the Property Transfer Affidavit (PTA) penalty fee for a late filed PTA?

Property Transfer Affidavit (PTA) penalties: 

Residential parcels, since 1994, per parcel number = $5.00 per day/ up to a maximum of $200.00.

Commercial/Industrial per parcel number
Before April 1st, 2013, = $5.00 per Day /up to a maximum of  $200.00.
After April 1st, 2013, = $20.00 a Day /up to a maximum of  $1,000.00.


5. What proof of occupancy is acceptable for a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE)?


  • Both sides (front and back) of State of Michigan Driver's license with the property address
  • Federal and/or State Income Tax returns with the property address
  • A voter's registration record
  • Motor vehicle registration
  • Utility bills with the mailing address of the property address (actual bill)
  • Cable bills with the mailing address of the property (actual bill)
  • Telephone bills with the mailing address (actual bill)
  • Banking or credit card statement with account number redacted
  • Medical bills with the mailing address of the property