Frequently Asked Questions

Emergency Issues or Stray Animals:

If caller feels that they are in danger, please hang up and call 911. We will try to retrieve the address the caller is calling from and transfer to a supervisor so they can radio closest precinct.

How do I report stray animals?

Staff will ask for the callers information (First and last name and phone), document location, color and possible breed of dog for follow up purposes.

What do I do if someone left an animal on my property?

Property Owners/ Landlords/ Property Managers will frequently find a pet left behind at their property by a previous renter or inhabitant, or by someone taking advantage of a vacant property.

When that happens you must call 313-922-DOGS (3647) and report the issue. The Call Center operator will enter your call into the system, give you a reference number for the call, and advise you to email documentation needed to [email protected]. Animal Control will need that documentation to gain access to the animal. Once the documentation is received an Animal Control Supervisor will contact you to make an appointment for Animal Control Officers to meet you at the property.

Where are you located?

5700 Russell St, Detroit Mi 48211

What are your hours of operation?

7 am to 7 pm, 7 days/week, 365 days/year

How do I report that my dog is missing?

Staff will document dog’s information (breed, age, name, color, sex, identifying marks/clothing), where and when dog was lost, and caller’s contact information. The caller should check Detroit Animal Control is unable to identify dogs over the phone.

How do I report a dog that is being neglected/abused?

Please call the Michigan Humane Society’s Cruelty Hotline at (313) 872-3401.

I can’t keep my dog anymore. What should I do?

Staff will document dog’s information (breed, age, name, color, sex), and caller’s contact information. Staff will then ask why they are requesting an owner surrender.

Caller should contact Michigan Humane Society. They will take owner surrenders and complete assessment. They can be reached at 1-866-MHUMANE (648-6263) and follow their process. You must be a citizen of Detroit and have a valid license or Detroit ID.

What is a City Dog License?

A dog license serves two purposes: Proving that you are the rightful owner of your dog and that your dog has been vaccinated against rabies during that calendar year. You will be given documentation and an aluminum license which is worn by the dog to identify the dog in the event he gets loose or separated from you.

Do I have to renew my City Dog License each year? Even if he/she has a 3 year Rabies?

Yes. If your dog has been given a three-year rabies vaccine, you will still need to renew your license yearly.

Does my dog have to wear his/her City Dog License?

Yes. The dog should always wear a collar and license at all times. Additional identification like a tag with the owner's name and phone number, as well as permanent identification like a microchip, are also highly encouraged.

How do I get a license for my dog?

You can purchase a dog license online at OR pay for it in person at Detroit Animal Care located at 7401 Chrysler Dr. Detroit, MI 48211 when the shelter is open. Residents may make payment via Cash, Check, or Money Order Made Payable to City of Detroit. The license is $10 if your dog is spayed/neutered and $15 if your dog is sexually intact. Licenses require current proof of rabies vaccination. A vet is available to give rabies vaccination at Detroit Animal Care during public hours. The rabies vaccine is $25.

How do I report a dead animal for collection?

The Department of Public Works (DPW) collects dead dogs and cats. Please contact DPW at (313) 628-4268.

My animal died in my house. What should I do?

Please contact the Department of Public Works (DPW) at (313) 638-4268. Dead animals should be placed at curbside for collection if you will not be home. DPW will not go onto private property to collect dead animals if no one is home.

How do I report stray cats in my neighborhood?

We ask that you do not attempt to capture a stray cat. Stray cats can be feral. Feral animals are exceptionally frightened and will typically not allow themselves to be touched. They are generally not aggressive, just protective. Always exercise caution when dealing with an unknown animal.

Detroit Animal Care will accept cats/kittens if they are contained in a carrier or box. You must be a citizen of Detroit and have a valid license or Detroit ID.

If multiple cats are scene in neighbor DAC can make referral to partnering agencies to address the situation.

My dog has bitten/been bitten by another dog. What should I do?

If you or your dog are bitten by an animal and the bite is serious enough to require medical attention you should go directly to a health care provider.

After seeking medical attention please contact Detroit Animal Control to reach an Animal Control Investigator and complete a bite report at (313) 922-DOGS (6347).

How do I report issues with rodents?

Please call the City of Detroit (313) 876-0974 for rodent control issues.

How do I report issues with wildlife (opossums, raccoons, squirrels, birds, foxes, skunks, etc.)?

Unless a wildlife animal has bitten a human or companion animal, Detroit Animal Control is not licensed to receive wildlife. Please contact a nuisance wildlife control company. They will assist with the wildlife and evaluate the property to help you prevent future problems. We have a listing of State of Michigan Licensed Professional Wildlife Removal Companies located in Wayne County on our website for your convenience. You can also go to for more information.

My neighbor’s dog barks all the time, what can I do?

Citizens who wish to make a barking complaint should first speak to the dog owner about the barking. Our 36th District Court Judges want to know court is last resort, not the first step to solving the issue. Barking is especially considered a nuisance from 10:00 pm - 6:30 am. There are no protections at this point for a dog that is barking during the daylight hours.

Once dog owner is notified, you should keep a log of the disturbance. Include the date, time, and duration of barking. Give at least two weeks to see if dog owner will comply. After two weeks, call Detroit Animal Control's main line (313) 922-DOGS (6347) and ask to speak to an Animal Control Investigator (ACI). The ACI will ensure you have spoken to the neighbor and have documented the nuisance barking, as well as come out to review log sheet. Once the ticket is issued the Investigator will contact the complainant to come to court to testify. If the barking case is successful a Judge will order the dog owner to keep the dog in the house between certain hours