City to significantly expand appointments at TCF with indoor walk up option; April 10 to be City employee family vaccination day at TCF
- City to significantly expand appointments at TCF with indoor walk-up option; April 10 to be City employee family vaccination day at TCF
- TCF will start offering indoor walk-up option to expand daily vaccination capacity from 5,000 doses per day to 8,000 starting next week
- City of Detroit government employees can bring age-eligible family members to get vaccinated at TCF on Saturday, April 10
The City of Detroit is adding significant vaccination capacity at TCF Center to accommodate an influx in appointments coming as a result of Monday’s expansion of eligibility to any Detroit resident age 16 or older.
Starting on Monday, people receiving their first dose will be able to receive it either in their car through the drive-up site, or by parking on the TCF rooftop deck and getting vaccinated inside the TCF Center itself, Mayor Mike Duggan said. The expansion to the indoor space will allow the city to administer up to 8,000 shots per day. The capacity at the drive-up site is approximately 5,000 per day.
New TCF option
People calling for appointments today are being asked if they prefer the drive-up option or the indoor option. If the caller prefers the drive-up, they will be scheduled for it, although it may take somewhat longer to get an appointment than it would for the indoor option.
“We want to provide the experience that makes each person most comfortable,” Mayor Duggan said. “If you choose the drive up for your first dose, that’s where you’ll go for your second dose. The same applies if you choose the indoor location.”
Starting Monday, individuals who select the indoor option will begin receiving their first dose inside the TCF Center. Here are instructions for those who will be taking the indoor option:
- Park on the rooftop garage, entering off of Congress west of Washington off of Congress Street. The gate will be open and there is no payment or parking validation necessary.
- Follow the signs to the indoor vaccination site. Stairs and elevators are available.
- Check-in. Once you check-in, enter the ballroom and fill out your consent form.
- Get your shot! Once you receive your vaccination, you’ll remain for a 15-minute observation period before you can leave.
All vaccinations must be scheduled first by calling 313-230-0505. As of today, there are now only two categories of eligibility for Detroiters to schedule a vaccination:
- Any Detroiter age 16 or older
- Any worker working a jobsite in the City of Detroit
City employee family day at TCF
As part of his effort to get city workers safely back to their worksite, Mayor Duggan today also announced that any city employee planning to get vaccinated can bring their immediate family with them to be vaccinated as well. The two requirements for a family member being vaccinated is that they are a family member of the city employee and are age-eligible.
“We are getting closer to the day when city government will return to mostly normal operations and staffing. So it makes sense that we are not just protecting our employees against Covid, but protecting their households,” said Mayor Duggan. “Whether you’re a city budget analyst in city hall, a police officer on patrol, or a sanitation worker, you can call today to schedule an appointment for yourself and any age-eligible member of your household to all come down to TCF together on April 10th and get vaccinated as a family.”
Employee Family day is available to any of the city’s 9,000 employees, as well as those who work for affiliated city agencies, such as the Detroit Land Bank, Public Lighting Authority, Detroit Economic Growth Corporation, and others.
The timeframe for vaccinations that day will be from 10AM until noon, based on expected demand. Employees can call 313-230-0505 and let the operator know they are calling to schedule an appointment for City Employee Family Day. At the time, of the scheduling, the employee will need to provide info for each of the family members, who are being asked to arrive in the same vehicle.