Detroit Animal Care and Control (DACC)

Contact Detroit Animal Care and Control (DACC) to locate or report lost animals and to keep dog licenses and rabies vaccines up-to-date.

For More Information Visit:
7401 Chrysler Dr Detroit, MI 48211 313-224-6356 Monday - Saturday: 10:30 am - 3:30 pm Sunday: 11:00 am - 1:00 pm for lost dog identification purposes only

Detroit Animal Care and Control

What is a license?

A dog license serves two purposes: 

  1. Proving that you are the rightful owner of your dog 
  2. Proving that your dog has been vaccinated against rabies during that calendar year

An aluminum license is worn by the dog to identify the dog in the event he gets loose or separated from you.

Do I have to renew my license each year?

Yes. If your dog has been given a three-year rabies vaccine, you will still need to renew your license yearly.

Does my dog have to wear the license?

Yes. The dog should wear a collar and license at all times. Additional identification like a tag with the owner's name and phone number, as well as permanent identification like a microchip, are also highly encouraged.

How do I get my dog licensed?

Please come to our facility during our hours of operation with a rabies certificate/proof of rabies vaccination. The rabies vaccination must be given by a vet according to state law. A vet is available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm to administer a rabies vaccine.

How do I report a bite?

Please call DACC during normal operating hours.

My neighbor's dog barks all the time, what can I do?

Citizens who wish to make a barking complaint should first speak to the dog owner about the barking. Our 36th District Court Judges want to know court should be considered the last resort, not first step to solving the issue. Barking is especially considered a nuisance from 10:00 pm - 6:30 am. There are no protections at this point for a dog that is barking during the daylight hours.

Once dog owner is notified, you should keep a log of the disturbance. Include the date, time and duration of barking. Give at least two weeks to see if the dog owner will comply.  After two weeks, call DACC's main line and ask to speak to an Animal Control Investigator (ACI). The ACI will ensure you have spoken to the neighbor and have documented the nuisance barking, as well as come out to review the log sheet. Once a ticket is issued the investigator will contact the complainant to come to court to testify. If the barking case is successful a judge will order the dog owner to keep the dog in the house between certain hours.