The Detroit Fire Marshal Division Fire Prevention Section is responsible for performing life safety inspections in all occupancies (assemblies, business, mercantile, industrial, apartments, etc.) to ensure that compliance is met in accordance with the adopted codes as prescribed in the Detroit Fire Prevention and Protection Ordinance. Additionally, the Fire Prevention Section performs/witnesses acceptance testing of all required fire protection and life safety systems that are installed in new and existing buildings.
- The Fire Prevention Sections consists of six (6) units:
- Public Assemblies – 313.596.2932
- Public instruction – 313.596.2968
- General Assignments/New Construction – 313.596.2954
- Hazardous Materials – 313.596.2931
- Institutions – 313.596.8892
- Court Enforcement – 313.596.2970
Every business/occupancy type is required to obtain an annual fire permit as per the Detroit Fire Prevention and Protection Code. The Fire Prevention section is committed to ensuring the safety of citizens and visitors of Detroit through public education, community engagement, life safety inspections and code enforcement.
Additional services provided by Fire Prevention:
- Fire Sweeps
- Fire Watch/ Training
- Code Review/Variances
- Hazardous Materials escorts
- Certificate of Fitness testing
- Evacuation Plans/Drills
Please contact us via email @ [email protected], or call 313.596.2954.