Department of Public Works - Maps and Records Bureau

Street and Alley Easements, Encroachments, and Vacations


Maintenance Agreements



Status changes in the public right-of-way (streets and alleys) require the resolution/approval of City Council and may require additional permits. The types of status changes include:

  • Berm Use
  • Conversion to Easement
  • Dedication
  • Encroachment
  • Outright Vacation
  • Temporary Closing


Select link for a Definition of Terms


If you are thinking about changing the status of a right-of-way please see this Petition to Vacate Right-of-Way Guidebook


Please follow the link below to request a consultation for your project.  You will be contacted to schedule a meeting either by phone or in person to discuss planning by a member of the Maps and Records Team.  Please provide a description of the right-of-way and the reason for the request.


Submission Packet Documents:

Petition Form

Maintenance Agreements


If you have further questions regarding right-of-way changes, contact the DPW-City Engineering Division, Maps & Records Bureau, at (313) 224-3970.  [email protected]