The Capital Planning team plays a pivotal role in shaping the city's future by strategizing and managing major construction projects. Their expertise lies in assessing community needs, and creating comprehensive plans for infrastructure development.
By aligning projects with the city's vision and priorities, they ensure effective allocation of resources and maximize the positive impact on Detroit residents. From new public facilities to transportation improvements, the Capital Planning team's approach fosters sustainable growth, enhances the quality of life and creates a more vibrant and resilient city for all residents to enjoy.
Chandler Park Fieldhouse
The Chandler Park Fieldhouse, a sprawling 130,000 square feet indoor sporting event community building, will be the crown jewel of the park. Designed to serve as both an event and public assembly center, the fieldhouse will fill a crucial gap in the city's recreational services, offering a haven for sports enthusiasts of all ages and outside vendors.
Key features of the Chandler Park Fieldhouse include:
- Multi-purpose rooms for diverse activities
- Administrative spaces for efficient management
- Shower rooms and inclusive bathrooms for user comfort
- Multi-use court for basketball, volleyball, and pickleball
- Football field and track for comprehensive sports offerings
- 200+ space parking lot with bio-swales for sustainable storm-water management
Brennan Rec Center
Situated adjacent to Brennan Pool, the new recreational center will significantly enhance the recreational landscape in Rouge Park. This state-of-the-art facility, spanning over 25,000 square feet, will address the community's pressing need for indoor recreational facilities. The Detroit Pistons have committed $20 million to the construction of this much-awaited community hub.
This evaluation and restoration of Hart Plaza’s Dodge Fountain will take several months and will include removing metal panels from the fountain’s dome, repairing jets, lighting, and plumbing before reassembling the structure. Fountain repair and renovation are expected to be completed by spring 2024.
Community Center at A.B. Ford Park
The Community Center at A.B. Ford Park is the City of Detroit’s first-ever resiliency hub. Located in the city’s historic Jefferson Chalmers neighborhood, the facility boasts state-of-the-art features with a solar roof and Green Stormwater Infrastructure.
Additional features include:
- Central bioswales to control stormwater
- Solar rooftop that covers 3,495 square feet, which will power 30 percent of the building
- Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) Roof Deck, which is the first of its king if Detroit
- Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF), which optimizes the building’s energy performance
- Decorative Pewabic tile from Detroit-based business Pewabic Pottery