Lead Requirements

State Certified Lead Inspectors/Risk Assessors

Steps to obtain Lead Clearance 

Rental property owners are required to obtain a Certificate of Compliance prior to occupying the property with a tenant. A Certificate of Compliance requires that a property has been:

Step 1. Inspected to identify lead-based paint (and a Lead Risk Assessment was conducted).
Step 2. The property MUST be cleared of any lead hazards to help ensure the safety of the occupant. 
Step 3. A Lead Remediation and Clearance Summary; a Lead Activity Declaration MUST be completed by a state-certified lead professional and submit via email [email protected]

Lead Ordinance Requirements:

Please read Lead Ordinance Requirement for Rental Property Owners

Any person performing lead hazard mitigation or abatement in the State of Michigan must be certified by the State of Michigan’s Department of Health and Human Services. For a list of certified lead professionals and contractors, visit the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services website and to verify the contractor’s license or registration, visit the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) website

Lead Inspection Quick Tips:

Tip 1. Verify that the individual or company inspecting for lead hazards is certified by the State of Michigan. Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) Make this the below link or by calling (517) 335-9390.

Tip 2. Submit your Lead Clearance Report to BSEED Property Maintenance via email [email protected]

Do you know what your maintenance responsibilities are as a tenant? Click here to learn more.

Lead Abatement Subsidies to Remove Lead Hazards:

In order to help keep children safe from lead hazards in the home, the City’s Housing and Revitalization Department is providing grant support to homeowners and rental property owners, to help pay for the removal of lead hazards, and make other property repairs that can impact the safety of occupants. Grants of up to $25,000 may be available to property owners who have children age 6 or younger living in the property. To learn more about the program and determine whether or not your property is eligible, contact the Housing and Revitalization Department:

Housing and Revitalization 

Housing and Revitalization

Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, 2 Woodward Avenue - Suite 908 Detroit, MI 48226
8:30 am – 4:30 pm, weekdays



To learn more about the risks of lead, visit the Environmental Protection Agency