Customer are strongly encouraged to apply for Business Licenses online through BSEED's Electronic Licensing and Permitting System (eLAPS).
- Click here to learn how to get started.
- For additional assistance, please contact (313) 224-3179 or [email protected].
Refer to the table for the appropriate eLAPS application for your business.
|Business License Type||Record Type||Application Name||License Type|
|Cigarette Retail||Retail Application||Retailer||Cigarette Retail|
|Pet Shop (Live Animals)||Retail Application||Retailer||Pet Shop|
Refer to the table below for a breakdown of the Clearances required for your business.
|Business License Type||Bond / Insurance||Environmental Health (Detroit Health Department)||Fire||Food Safety (Detroit Health Department)||Police||Property Maintenance|| Treasury
|Pet Shop (Live Animals)||X (Animal Control)||X||X||X|
Refer to the table below for a breakdown of the required documents to include in your business license application. All documents must be submitted through eLAPS.
|Business License Type||Building Permit 1||Proof of Ownership: Lease Contract / Property Deed||Articles of incorporation||Current Identification|
|Pet Shop (Live Animals)||X||X||X||X|
1 Only required for newly established or change of use.
Business License applications are subject to multiple fees dependent on scope. Fee types and prices are subject to change. Charged annually.
- Cigarette Retail: $55.00/year
- Pet Shop: $99.00/year
Bond / Insurance
- Submit application online at bit.ly/codbondapplication
- Contact BSEED Licensing & Permits with questions
Environmental Health (Detroit Health Department)
- Call 313-876-4715 or visit www.detroitmi.gov/environmentalsafety to confirm the steps and fees for your business. Some business license types will also require a state of Michigan License. You may pay your fees to the health department at https://cod.divdatkiosknetwork.com/EnvironmentalHealth
- Step 1: Call to confirm and pay fee.
- Phone: 313-596-2963
- Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Note: You can mail your payment or pay via phone with credit card for an additional 3% charge.
- Step 2: Call to schedule inspection.
- Phone: 313-596-2954
- Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- In Person (note phone is preferred): 1301 Third St. Detroit MI 48226
Food Safety (Detroit Health Department)
- You do not need to schedule this inspection. The Health Department will visit your location according to their schedule. If you have any questions, you may call Food Safety: 313-876-0135
- Check with BSEED Licensing & Permits about whether you require a Police Department clearance and, if so, whether you need to visit the Police Department or whether they will conduct an unannounced inspection. Some business types that require Police Department clearance include:
- Gas stations
- Valet drivers
- Parking lot attendants
- Junk collectors
- Call to confirm Certificate of Compliance expiration and schedule inspection if needed. You will be mailed an invoice after the inspection takes place. You will not receive your C of C until all fees owed to BSEED have been paid.
- Phone: (313) 628-2451
- Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- In Person: Buildings, Safety, Engineering and Environmental Department (BSEED)
- CAYMC, 2 Woodward, Suite 412
- Step 1: Get your Personal Property Tax ID. You must have this in order to apply for a clearance.
- Phone: (313) 224-3025
- Email: [email protected]
- Step 2: Use this link to access the clearance application: http://bit.ly/detroitclearances
- The application includes 2 components:
- Component 1: Complete application Information
- Component 2: Security submit personal information -social security and/or employer identification number (EIN) - to the City of Detroit through DocuSign
- Both pages are required in order to complete your application. Failure to do so could result in a longer processing time. Please allow 7-10 business days for an update on your clearance.
- Please direct any questions related to completing the application to the following email address: [email protected]
- In Person: Treasury, Clearance Unit, CAYMC, 2 Woodward Avenue
- The application includes 2 components: