Electrical Apprentice Checklist
Applications are available here (for printing purposes only) or by visiting the Electrical Inspection Division at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, 2 Woodward Ave., Fourth Floor, Room 408 between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. Please be sure to print out both pages of the application.
The applicant MUST be a resident of the City of Detroit. If you reside outside the City of Detroit, please contact the State of Michigan's Electrical Division for further information here. If you reside in the City of Grand Rapids, please contact the Grand Rapids Construction Division for further information.
EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 1, 2010 ALL ELECTRICAL APPRENTICES ARE REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN AN ELECTRICAL TRAINING PROGRAM APPROVED BY THE BOARD OF ELECTRICAL EXAMINERS AS STIPULATED IN 1956 PA 217. FAILURE TO DO SO INVALIDATES THE REGISTRATION. ANY HOURS ACCUMULATED ON AN INVALID REGISTRATION WILL NOT BE CREDITED TOWARDS THE JOURNEYMAN ELECTRICIAN EXAMINATION. PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
The application must be filled out in its entirety, except where noted.
1. One Electrical Apprentice Registration Form
2. One Passport-sized photo, if you are renewing your application, a photo is not required.
3. Documentation of the abovementioned Training course.
4. A copy (front and back) of your current Driver's License or State of Michigan ID.
5. A letter of documentation from your current employer attesting to employment to electrical construction or maintenance of buildings or electrical wiring or equipment under the direct supervision of a person licensed by the State of Michigan Electrical Administrative Act (Public Act 217 of 1956). All letters must be originals, notarized on company letterhead, include a brief description of your duties, and be signed by the employer. Do not include overtime hours in your accumulation of time from your employer. Paycheck stubs are not considered valid documentation.
Please bring your application along with all required documentation to the Electrical Inspection Division. You may also mail your application to the office at the following address:
BSEED - Electrical Inspection Division
ATTN: Marian Swint
2 Woodward Ave.
Fourth Floor, Room 408
Detroit, MI 48226
Please be sure to check with the Electrical Division to make sure your mailed application was received.
All Apprentice Registrations must be approved by the Board of Electrical Examiners before a Registration is granted. The Board meets every third Thursday of the month. You can view the Board's meeting dates here.
Once reviewed by the Board, the applicant will receive via mail the Board's written decision.
If denied: The applicant must provide the requested information sent by the Board and re-submit to the Board for approval.
If approved: The applicant must come down to the Electrical Division along with the Registration fee ($15.00) to receive the Registration invoice.
Applicant must take an invoice to the Licenses and Permits Division cashier in Room 402 and pay the registration fee.
Apprentice Registration will be issued to the applicant by the cashier.