DWSD Contractor Connect Newsletter - December 2020
Welcome to the Contractor Connect! – a quarterly newsletter packed with important information for contractors about the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD). Here you will learn about outreach engagement, capital improvement projects, upcoming construction and procurement opportunities.
Join DWSD for its Third Annual DWSD Construction Business to Business Opportunities Workshop
The DWSD Construction Business to Business Opportunities Workshop is a great forum for prime contractors, sub-contractors and construction-related business owners to learn about DWSD’s construction projects and how your business can participate.
The 2021 event will be virtual – the event will bring the same valuable information provided in past in-person workshops. Our Deputy Director and Chief Engineer, Palencia Mobley, P.E., will kick off a series of engaging presentations by subject matter experts in procurement, certification and employment resources.
Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2021
Time: 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM EST
Register here: DWSD 3rd Annual Construction Business to Business Opportunities Workshop
Highlights of this year’s event include:
- CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM UPDATE: DWSD has invested more than $200M in capital improvement projects since 2019, upgrading the water and sewer systems, replacing lead service lines, and implementing green stormwater infrastructure projects. In nearly two years, DWSD contractors have replaced 43 miles of water main, replaced more than 600 lead service lines, replaced or lined 41 miles of sewer collection piping, and installed 11 bioretention gardens.
- OVERVIEW OF DWSD'S 2021 CONSTRUCTION SEASON: Learn about construction opportunities as DWSD releases its 2021 construction plan.
- OVERVIEW OF THE DRINKING WATER REVOLVING FUND (DWRF): Prime and sub-contractors who bid on water main projects funded by the Drinking Water Revolving Fund must meet requirements outlined by the federal government. This presentation will provide an overview.
- CITY OF DETROIT -- CIVIL RIGHTS INCLUSION & OPPORTUNITY DEPARTMENT (CRIO): The department will discuss Executive Order 2016-1 – the order outlines that all construction projects receiving$3 million or more in public funding must ensure at least 51 percent of the hours worked on these projects are performed by Detroit residents. CRIO will also provide details of its Detroit Business Opportunity Program – learn about becoming a Detroit-based certified business.
- TRADE UNIONS & WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT: Hear union leadership discuss their skilled trade workforce and from workforce development officials who will provide an overview of trained construction laborers. This presentation is intended to help contractors comply with the requirements of Executive Order 2016-1, as mentioned above.
- CONTRACTOR SPOTLIGHT: This year’s Contractor Spotlight sessions will highlight three important areas of contractor involvement. One session will host two prime contractors who will provide details for what they look for in sub-contractors. The goal of this session is to engage a variety of Detroit-based and minority-owned contractors and encourage overall contractor participation. The other session will allow a sub-contractor to discuss their business and capabilities.
DWSD Project Highlight: Oakman Boulevard
- $8.6M project transformed 10 medians on Oakman Boulevard into bioretention gardens and included water system upgrades
- The project will prevent millions of gallons of stormwater from entering the sewer system annually
- The Detroit-based prime contractor hired seven sub-contractors and nearly fifty Detroiters to work on the project
Beyond helping to beautify the Aviation neighborhood, the main benefits of Oakman Boulevard’s new natural system is that it will significantly reduce the impact of stormwater to the sewer system in a neighborhood that has experienced flooding and basement backups. Detroit-based and minority-owned primary contractor, Blaze Contracting, completed the major construction, including the bioretention gardens and the water main replacement. A number of subcontractors played a part in completing this work, which demonstrates the various types of construction-related contractors that can participate in DWSD projects. Subcontractors included:
- Electrical: Motor City Electric
- Concrete: Eminent Contracting and Mark Anthony
- Asphalt Paving: Nagel Paving
- Hydroexcavating for curb stop (water main valve): Badger Daylighting
- Traffic Management: State Barricade
- Pavement Saw Cutting: American Pavement Sawing
- Landscaping: WH Canon
Check out this video to learn more about the project
COVID-19 Safe Workplace Standards for Construction Sites Remain in Place
As a requirement for moving forward on DWSD’s projects, the City of Detroit requires contractors working on construction projects purchased by the City of Detroit (including through affiliated agencies) to follow the City of Detroit’s COVID-19 Safe Workplace Standards for Construction Sites. Compliance with those standards will be enforced by inspections from the City of Detroit’s Buildings Safety Engineering and Environment Department (BSEED) for building construction, Department of Public Works (DPW) for right-of-way construction, and Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) for water/sewer utility work. while also helping smaller companies understand how they can participate on projects.
DWSD will have the following procurement opportunities available. Be sure to look out for bid notifications. If you are not on our email distribution list, send us your name, company name, and email address to [email protected].
- CS-1947 - Water Main Condition Assessment
- DWS-917 - Sewer Improvements
- DWS-918 - Sewer Improvements
- DWS-920 - Inspection, Rehabilitation and Replacement of Sewers - as needed
- DWS-926 - Sewer Condition Assessment
- DWS-932 - Large Diameter Sewer Improvements
- WS-713 - Water Improvements
- WS-717 - Water Main Replacement – as needed
- WS-719 - Water Main Repair – as needed
- WS-720 - Water Improvements
For information, contact procurement at [email protected].