Our community funding is based on Census count. Read more...
Non-Police FOIA request information
For More Information Visit:
FOIA request is a request submitted under the Michigan Freedom of Information Act.
All FOIA requests must be in writing and describe a public record sufficiently to enable the public body to find the public record. (MCL15.231 et seq.)
The following ARE routine and simple police FOIA requests:
- Certain or specific police report with the DPD report number; and/or
- Non-critical or non-fatal motor vehicle accident reports;
- 911 Audio Recordings
- 911 CAD Reports
- Police Dash-Cam Videos
- Simple Arrest Reports
- Mug Shots
- Police Incident Reports concerning: domestic dispute matters, simple assault and battery, theft
- Motor Vehicle Accident Reports.
The following ARE non-routine Police FOIA requests:
- Records pertaining to fatal accident;
- Video or audio recordings (other than 911 audio recordings and Police Dash-Cam Videos)
- Records involving critical injury;
- Records pertaining to homicide;
- Records pertaining to matters involving shooting;
- Records involving any type of death; or
- Records pertaining to vice or narcotics.
Within five (5) business days of the receipt of the FOIA request by the City’s FOIA Coordinator, the City (through the City’s FOIA Coordinator, the assigned attorney or the legal assistant), shall provide a written response to the person who submitted the FOIA request by:
- Extending the City’s time to respond to the request.
- Requesting a deposit payment.
- Granting the request.
- Granting in part and denying in part the request.
- Denying the request.
The City may seek an extension and respond to the request by: requesting a deposit payment; by granting the request with or without fees and/or costs; by granting in part and denying in part the request with or without fees and/or costs; or by denying the request.
All payment must be submitted in check or money order made payable to the “City of Detroit” in the specific amount requested in the response by the City, within the time frame requested by the City.
Information about City of Detroit Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Guidelines
Information about Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Fee Itemization Form