Special Events and Film Permits

Coleman A. Young Municipal Center 2 Woodward Avenue, Suite 333 Detroit, MI 48226 (313) 224-1606

Detroit Film Office FAQ

How do I get a permit to film in Detroit?

The Detroit Office of Special Events and Film issues a no-fee general permit for all work being completed in the city of Detroit.  To obtain a DFO Permit, the film company must complete a Location Use Form and submit it to the Film Office one month prior to filming. The DFO also requires all film companies to provide proof of adequate insurance for all film projects. Insurance requirements can be found in the form section of the DFO website. In addition to DFO requirements, depending on the uniqueness of the project, additional city permits and/or fees may be required. Listed below are DFO answers to frequently asked questions.

How can I work with Location Managers from the Film and Television Industries?

The DFO does not provide employment placement services.

What can the DFO do for me as a film director planning to shoot a film?

DFO assists industry professionals by facilitating the permitting process and acting as a liaison with city departments for film productions.

How long does the permitting process take?

The Permitting process depends on the project type. Typically a permit can be issued within 48-72 hours.

I heard there are two types of forms (Location Use Application and Insurance Requirement) that must be filled out and turned in before a shoot takes place. Where do I find those forms and how do I turn them in?

You can find and print both of the forms from this site. Once the forms are completed, they should be emailed to [email protected]. Upon receipt, our office will contact you regarding your project.

Why do I need to fill out an insurance requirement form?

The insurance forms are needed to protect the city of Detroit from liability during your shoot.

Would I need to fill out an insurance form for a small project (example commercial or a short story)? And if so, are there different price ranges?

Yes, insurance forms are necessary for all projects. Prices may vary.

If I already have my own insurance to secure my location(s) shoot, can I use it or do I have to buy DFO insurance in order to secure my shoot?

DFO does not provide insurance. You must provide your own insurance.

I am a Film Major and I would like to intern for DFO. Who would I speak to and how can I submit an application for review?

Currently, all DFO intern positions are filled. You may however, forward your resume to [email protected]for future consideration.

How can I receive a Film Resources Directory and/or Michigan Production Guide?

Contact the Michigan Film Office at (800) 477-3456 or http://www.michiganfilmoffice.org/.

Contact Entity
How do you contact us?

The Detroit Film Office is located in the: 

Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
2 Woodward Avenue, Suite 333
Detroit, Michigan 48226.

The phone number is (313) 224-1606 . You can also e-mail us at [email protected]