Detroit Free Press Rehabilitation
The City of Detroit welcomes Bedrock LLC to present adaptive reuse/rehabilitation of the historic Detroit Free Press Building, located at 321 W. Lafayette. The 14-story Art Deco masterpiece housed the Detroit Free Press newspaper, including all associated operations, when it opened in 1925. The building, which also contained rentable retail and commercial space, was commissioned by Free Press owner E.D. Stair. Historic features include: exterior limestone carvings by New York sculptor Ulysses Ricci, advertising room murals depicting early Detroit history by Roy C. Gamble, to name a few. On July 23, 1998, the Free Press left its home of nearly 75 years, where much of the city’s best journalism had been created. Since the Free Press vacated the building it has fallen into a state of severe disrepair. Bedrock LLC projects to spend $69 million to transform the historic Detroit Free Press Building, located at 321 W. Lafayette. The project will create a mixed-use development that will include retail on the first floor, office space on the second and third floors, and residential apartments on the remaining floors above.
Detroit Free Press Building Rehabilitation Neighborhood Advisory Council
- Beverly Burns - Elected by Impact Area Residents
- Debra Walker - Appointed by Council Member Raquel Castañeda-López
- Kimberly Jackson - Appointed by Council President Brenda Jones
- Andres Rosenthal - Appointed by At-Large Council Member Janeé Ayres
- Eric Plummer - Appointed by Planning & Development
- Alexandra Novak - Appointed by Planning & Development
- Leslie Tom - Appointed by Planning & Development
- Melody Martin - Appointed by Planning & Development
- Will Butler - Appointed by Planning & Development
- Community Benefit Public Meeting #1: June 5, 2017 from 6:00 - 8:00 PM at The Beacon, 1 Woodward
- Community Benefit Public Meeting #2: June 15, 2017 from 5:30 - 7:30 PM in the Erma Lois Henderson Auditorium located on the 13th floor of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, 2 Woodward Ave.
- Community Benefit Public Meeting #3: June 19, 2017 from 5:30-7:30 PM in the Beacon Room, 2nd Floor, 1 Woodward
- Community Benefit Public Meeting #4: July 6, 2017 at 5:30 - 7:30 PM in the Beacon Room, 2nd Floor, 1 Woodward