Plans and Exams
The Plans and Exams section of the Detroit Fire Department is responsible for analyzing all life safety and fire protection aspects of new construction, change of use, and major renovation for commercial building projects. The section works closely with the Building Safety Engineering and Environmental Department (BSEED), Planning and Development Department (PDD), Detroit Water and Sewage (DWSD), Health Department, and others to identify solutions to fire and life safety through planning and design. The section approves projects to begin construction and modifications of design that comply with all national, state, and city codes/standards. This is a critical step for citizens to obtain permits and construct and occupy their buildings.
Services Include but are not limited to:
- Review of new and existing commercial, industrial, residential (3+ family) construction, additions and renovations
- Civil/Site plan layout for new development
- Pre-plan and pre-construction consultation
- Fire protection plan review (Fire alarms, fire suppression, monitoring, etc.)
- Code variance requests
- Municipal water tap approvals
Located in the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center at 2 Woodward, suite 411. Citizens can visit the office to handle all their permitting and project planning needs.