Boiler/Pressure Vessel Inspection Team
The Boiler Inspection is a Division of the Buildings, Safety Engineering, and Environmental Department (BSEED). We are responsible for ensuring that Boiler Contractors, Installers, Boiler Repairs Companies, Mechanical Contractors, and Welders comply with code and ordinance requirements.
The Boiler Inspection Team assures that the proper permits have been issued for the construction, installation, alteration, repair, removal, change of use, Hydro testing, and decommissioning of all Boilers, Pressure Vessels, and Fuel Tanks, along with their piping and appurtenances.
These inspections are performed in Schools, Churches, Hospitals, Apartment Buildings, Bars, Restaurants, Breweries, Beer distribution centers, etc., anywhere Boilers and Pressure Vessels are found.
Boiler/Refrigeration License Information
- To schedule an exam, please visit Room 404 of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center.
- Application forms will be obtained from this department. Completed applications and letters of documentation or other documentary evidence shall be submitted by the applicant to the examination office for evaluation and scheduling of examination dates. Notarized letters from company officials on company stationery. Photocopies will be accepted for scheduling purposes only.
- Originals must be presented, for verification on the date of the appointment. Failure to do so will or any discrepancies will void the application and cancel the examination. Documentary material will be retained with the application and will not be returned.
- A Written/Oral Examination date will be provided/scheduled at the time of submitting the application.
- Written exam scores are provided to the examinee within a week by phone, mail or email. If Pass: The notification sent to the examinee will provide the Written Exam score and scheduled Date and time of the Oral Exam. If Fail: The applicant can retake the Written Exam after 90 Days.
- After passing the Oral the Applicant must pay applicable license fees.
- To retake a failed Exam: a completed application form and documentary evidence of a failed exam shall be submitted by the applicant to the examination office for evaluation and scheduling of examination dates.
A re-exam date will be provided/scheduled at the time of submitting the application.
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, Suite 408
Trade Licensing & Testing: Refrigeration/Boiler (313) 224-3184
License Examiner Email: [email protected]
General Customer Services: (313) 224-3202