Detroit LeadSafe Housing
Free Program to Remove Lead-Based Paint Hazards in Your Home. Keeping our Children Safe.
LeadSafe Housing is a free program to remove lead-based paint hazards in homes where children under the age of 6 are living, including pregnant moms. This includes ANY home where children would be living or visiting 6+ hours a week.
The Housing and Revitalization Department (HRD) received funds from the federal and state governments to reduce lead-based paint hazards in homes built before 1978 in order to create safe and healthy homes for children.
What are the Qualifications to Apply? (must meet all qualifications to be eligible)
- Homes located in the City of Detroit zip codes: 48202, 48204, 48206, 48209, 48210, 48217, 48213 or 48214. (If you live outside these zip codes, please visit Michigan.gov/mileadsafe)
- Children under the age of 6 and/or a pregnant woman in the home
- Must have clear proof of ownership. Owner-occupants and landlords are eligible
- Low-income family and/or has a child enrolled in Medicaid. See chart below for income eligibility ranges:
Why This is Important for Our Children’s Health:
- Lead is a toxic metal that may cause a range of health problems, especially in young children, including:
- Damage to the brain and nervous system
- Slowed growth and development
- Learning and behavior problems
- Hearing and speech problems
- Lower IQ
- Underperformance in school
- Children who are lead poisoned may show no symptoms
- Medical experts confirm that there is no safe amount of lead in a child’s system
- Homes built before 1978 likely contain lead-based paint
What the Program Includes:
- Free test checking for lead-based paint hazards in your home
- Homes that test positive for lead will receive an average of $15,000 to $40,000 in home repairs to eliminate lead-based paint hazards
- In addition, HRD will provide non-lead emergency repairs (this could include a new roof, furnace, water heater or porch depending on the needs and funding availability)
How to Participate:
Participation is simple, call, email or fill out the on-line form to see if you qualify. Our team will contact you, and walk you through the entire process.
- Call 313.224.6380 (English) or 313.498.2305 (Español) or
- E-mail [email protected] or
- Click here to fill out the on-line inquiry form or
Download the application and return to [email protected]*
Solicitud en español disponible aquí.*
استمارة التقديم متوفرة هنا باللغة العربية*
*Filling out the application does not guarantee eligibility, participation or funding. The condition of the home and cost of the repairs are a factor in determining eligibility.