Application opens on January 19th at 5pm. Apply Now.
City offers rapid testing by appointment June 12-14 for Detroit barber shops, salons
Detroit salon and barber shop employees and independent contractors can get a free COVID-19 rapid test at the Detroit Health Department (DHD) beginning this weekend and get the results on site. Mayor Mike Duggan announced the testing at his June 11 news briefing.
Beginning June 11, employees can call between 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. to schedule appointments, which are required. Testing takes place at DHD offices at 100 Mack, east of Woodward. To schedule an appointment, call (313) 251-4488.
- June 12, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- June 13, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- June 14, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
The test is expected to take 30 minutes, with results within 15 minutes. Individuals who test negative will receive a sticker to display at their work place. Individuals who test positive will be provided a consultation.
In addition, individuals will receive a small PPE care kit with two surgical masks, two pairs of gloves and a face shield.
The testing is only available to employees at Detroit businesses. Employees can be retested every two weeks. Under the State of Michigan’s guidelines, hair and nail salons and barber shops may reopen beginning June 15.
Detroit Health Department Safety Guidelines for Salon and Barber Shop Owners and Employees. Denise Fair, the City’s Chief Public Health Officer, provided these safety guidelines to help owners and employees of salons and barber shops as they reopen.
- Take advantage of rapid testing at the Detroit Health Department
- Avoid walk-in services and focus on appointments only
- Leave empty seats between clients in the waiting area
- Discourage waiting by asking clients to arrive at their appointment time
- Use touch-less payment options
- Have hand sanitizer available
- Clean high-touch areas often
- Require employees to wear masks and face shields
- Post signs and let customers know the safety precautions being taken