City of Detroit notifies taxpayers of billing error
The City of Detroit sent a letter to taxpayers notifying them that solid waste fee discounts were not properly applied on the summer property tax bills. This issue has been resolved, and all account balances have been updated. The Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) is issuing revised bills on July 10th to all effected properties and including a letter explaining the issue.
The following classifications of solid waste discounts were omitted from the bills:
- Poverty/Veteran Exemptions – $240 fee reduced to $120
- Senior Citizens – $240 fee reduced to $120
- Condo Opt Out – $240 reduced to $0
Taxpayers will receive a revised bill next week and can review their updated balances by visiting a Kiosk, downloading the DivDat Mobile App or through the City’s website (detailed below). Those who have already made a payment using the incorrect bill will be issued a refund by the end of this month.
“We apologize for the error and any inconvenience this may have caused in this difficult time. Our team is acting quickly to make the correction,” said David Massaron, Chief Financial Officer.
Taxpayers can find more information:
Detroit Taxpayer Service Center
- Phone – (313)224.3560
- Email – [email protected]
DivDat Kiosk / Mobile App
- To locate a kiosk near you, please visit www.codkiosk.com
- Download the DivDat Mobile App by visiting your phones App Store
City of Detroit Website
- View property tax balance by visiting www.detroitmi.gov and search “Pay Property Tax”