CEOs of Detroit’s largest companies speak out against racism and injustice
The following statement was issued today at a press conference with the CEOs listed below, along with Mayor Mike Duggan and Rev. Wendell Anthony.
We are here because we believe it is the responsibility of every American to speak out against the racism, and injustice we are witnessing in our country. We stand with the black community in calling for change across the nation and acknowledge the pain and loss endured by too many for far too long. Now is the time for change and we support those who are peacefully marching for it across our nation.
We condemn the acts of injustice in the tragic murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Breonna Taylor and the many other men and women whose lives have been cut far too short.
As a show of unity, sensitivity and our collective humanity, we declare our uncompromising support for and the application of equal justice for every American.
- We commit ourselves and our companies to reject and work to eliminate all forms of bias, racism, sexism and violence within our companies and our communities.
- We call upon the appropriate government officials to hold accountable all individuals involved with the deaths that have occurred. Every person must be held responsible and accountable for his or her actions.
- We support the calls for an independent prosecution of those accused in order to demonstrate the fairness and eliminate any possible conflicts in the course of this judicial process.
- We will invest in programs and policies that help to transform the disparities that exist within these communities, as we remain partners in progress both locally and nationally.
The 10 CEOs speaking out today represent more than 600,000 employees.
- Mary Barra, Chairman & CEO, General Motors
- Bill Ford, Executive Chairman, Ford Motor Company
- Mark Stewart, Chief Operating Officer, FCA North America
- Jay Farner, CEO Quicken Loans
- Cynthia Pasky, Founder, President & CEO of Strategic Staffing Solutions
- Wright Lassiter, President & CEO, Henry Ford Health System
- Chris Ilitch, President & CEO, Ilitch Holdings
- Dan Loepp, President & CEO, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- Gerry Anderson, Executive Chairman, DTE Energy
- Gary Torgow, Executive Chairman, TCF Financial Corporation