Land Based Projects
A Path to Purchase, Permit and Design
The City of Detroit is currently working to improve the process for purchasing and permitting land based projects. A land based project uses land for urban agriculture, gardening, beautification and other productive uses, whether for profit or as a community based activity.
As part of this 2019 planning effort, the City sought input from land based project leaders and neighbors. The changes that result from this work will simplify this process moving forwards and help ensure land based projects are good neighbors in all Detroit neighborhoods. Learn more about this recent planning effort.
The City Heard from You!
We gathered input to help prioritize improvements to the land purchase to permit process and Good Neighbor Guidelines for land Based Projects.
Land Based Projects Guiding Packets
The process overhaul is underway and will launch in 2020. When released, guiding packets will help you navigate the Land Based Project process; information detailed includes the who’s, what’s, when’s, where’s and why’s about zoning, owning, and maintaining your land.
A revised application process will launch in 2020, with updated Land and BuildingPermit forms, Property Intake forms, and Land and Building Purchase forms.
Identify publicly owned land that is for sale on the Detroit parcel viewer. Please note that planning a project that is already allowed by zoning (by right) is the easiest, cheapest, and fastest way to get a permit for your project. Map tips! Start with “zoning” and “public assets” and explore more later.
Locate impervious surface areas using the DWSD drainage viewer.
A step-by-step guide to vacate an alley is also in the process of being made.
Read directly from Detroit’s zoning ordinances or read about about specific concerns
- Summary Table of Zoning Intensity and Dimensional Standards, Including Setbacks
- Setbacks for Accessory Buildings and Corner Lots
- Lists of Currently Allowed Uses for Farms and Gardens
- Summary of Urban Agriculture Growing Setbacks
- Zoning 61.3.128 Urban Ag Plans
- Interested in Small Business Support? Connect with service providers through Motor City Match
- Plant a tree on your residential property with 10,000 up Tree Planting Program
- Register your block club with the City for public hearing notices of the City Planning Commission rezoning considerations in your area, City Planning Commission meeting agendas, and Community Development Block Grant information
- Report illegal dumping in your neighborhood online, on the app, or by phone
- What you need to know about Bulk Collection, and access DPW’s pre-paid pickup service
- View Detroit’s prohibited plant list
- Register your land organic or naturally grown by getting Organic or Naturally Grown certifications